Skip to main content
Partner logo
Mobile Icon Link Mobile Icon Link Mobile Icon Link

October 13, 2001

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. – Carlos Hall’s block of Daniel Weaver’s field goal attempt with 48 seconds to play preserved Arkansas’ 10-7 victory over No. 9 South Carolina Saturday in Little Rock. The loss was Carolina’s first of the season, leaving the Gamecocks 5-1 overall and 4-1 in SEC action.

South Carolina trying for 6-0 for the first time since 1988. “This drives a knife into my heart,” Holtz said. “I was disappointed in the way we played.”

On the field goal attempt, Arkansas Coach Houston Nutt said Curt Davis and Jermaine Brooks pushed the offensive linemen backward. “Carlos and Ken (Hamlin) both must have jumped 12 feet,” he said.

Zak Clark’s 10-yard touchdown pass to Richard Smith put Arkansas in front in the third quarter and completed a 15-play, 69-yard drive that included fourth-down conversions by Clark and Matt Jones.

Clark’s TD pass went through the hands of linebacker Kalimba Edwards and was caught by Smith between Sheldown Brown and Antione Nesmith with 4:28 left in the third quarter. The drive consumed 7:28 and was an immediate response to Corey Jenkins’ 41-yard touchdown run that had put the Gamecocks in front 7-3.

Arkansas held the ball 34? minutes and frustrated South Carolina quarterback Phil Petty throughout the first half. Petty, who had completed more than 62 percent of his passes during the year, threw his first interception of the season and finished 11-of-30 with two picks.

“This is a loss to us, but not the end of the world,” Petty said.

After Petty completed 6 of 19 passes in the first half, Jenkins started the second half and had an immediate impact. South Carolina ran a reverse on the kickoff and Derek Watson got back to the South Carolina 42.

On third-and-10, Jenkins ducked under a rushing Ken Hamlin, rolled left and — while on the move — completed a 12-yard pass to Ryan Brewer. Jenkins kept inside for 4 and then faked a handoff to Watson, ran through Tony Bua, left Eddie Jackson grasping for air and covered 41 yards for the touchdown.

The Razorbacks made a couple of first downs before facing fourth-and-3 at the South Carolina 35. After a timeout, Decori Birmingham caught a quick pass from Clark and made 4 with Deandre Eiland 28 riding on his back.

On fourth-and-5 and with option specialist Matt Jones lined up in the shotgun formation, a quarterback draw was worth 14 to the 12. Two plays later, Clark put Arkansas ahead.

After a 57-yard punt by Richie Butler, South Carolina began its final possession from its 20. Petty’s screen pass to Derek Watson netted 22 yards and his floater to Brian Scott was good for 30 more to the Arkansas 17. The Gamecocks had third-and-3, but tackle Melvin Paige moved early and Scott caught Petty’s third-down pass out of the end zone. Weaver’s 39-yard field goal attempt was then blocked.

Arkansas took an early 3-0 lead after Marvin Jackson made an over-the-shoulder catch of Tyler Dean’s career-best 67-yard punt and brought it back 17 yards to the Razorbacks 42.

Off the bench, Jones ran the option for no gain, then went to receiver and caught Clark’s nice throw across the middle for 17. The Razorbacks picked up another first down when the Gamecocks jumped offsides on third-and-short. On a delay, Talley made 9 for a first down at the 11.

Brennan O’Donohoe’s field goal was good from 21 yards.

The Gamecocks –with a revamped offensive line — looked discombobulated when they had the ball in the first half and made only four first downs. Arkansas had seven first downs but kept the ball 18? minutes because it had twice as many running plays.

Late in the first quarter, Petty was intercepted for the first time in 122 attempts when Lawrence Richardson ran under an overthrown deep pass.