April 5, 2003
Columbia, SC –
* USC went through a 95-play scrimmage Saturday afternoon at Williams-Brice Stadium. It was the second scrimmage of the spring for the Gamecocks and more resembled a game than last week’s scrimmage.
* The starting offense went against the starting defense on three different series. The remainder of the time, the teams used different combinations of offense vs. defense.
* There were two interceptions thrown in the scrimmage, both by junior college quarterback Mike Rathe. Cornerback Teddy Crawford picked off the first pass and returned it 15 yards to help set up a four-yard touchdown run by tailback Kenny Irons. Linebacker Marcus Lawrence intercepted the other pass. Both passes hit off of receivers before they were intercepted.
* Despite the two interceptions, Rathe did some good things throwing the football. He hit Mikal Goodman for a 36-yard gain and also had completions of 33 yards to tight end Andy Boyd and 26 yards to Goodman.
* Goodman was the day’s leading receiver, unofficially with five receptions for 91 yards. * Quarterback Bennett Swygert only participated in three offensive series, as there was live contact in the scrimmage and Swygert, who is recovering from knee surgery, is still unable to participate in full contact.
* Quarterback Dondrial Pinkins hooked up with wide receiver Chavez Donnings for the afternoon’s biggest play – a 53-yard touchdown pass.
* Following the workout, head coach Lou Holtz made the following comments to the media: “Daccus Turman and Kenny Irons ran hard and they ran physical. Jamacia Jackson had a good day at safety. Dondrial Pinkins and Mike Rathe got most of the work at quarterback. I thought the poorest thing we did on defense was not containing the passer and not putting enough pressure on the quarterback. We worked hard on the kicking game. Daniel Weaver missed a 47-yarder that was wide right, but he hit it good. We’ll have a good film session Sunday and then go out and make the corrections. We should have a depth chart after we look at the film. I don’t know how we’ll play the Spring Game quite yet, whether we’ll have the number one offense go against the number two defense and vice versa or if we’ll have a draft.”
* The only injury of note was a neck stinger suffered by linebacker Ricardo Hurley. He is expected to be okay.
* When asked about the media reports of former Gov. Jim Hodges aiding the team in recruiting by meeting with prospects, Coach Holtz said: “I’ve asked the coach in question to provide me with a report on what happened. The other time that I recall has already been reported and that was at a basketball game over a year ago when we served ice cream to the recruits at halftime.”
* USC returns to the practice field Sunday evening. Coach Holtz will be available to the media at approximately 8:30 p.m. in the press room behind the lobby of the football building.