April 12, 2003
NCAA Qualifying Marks set at Sea Ray Relays
* – Denotes Qualifying mark set earlier in season
100m Dash (Men - 10.50, Women - 11.80) * Aleen Bailey 11.40* Erica Whipple 11.47
200m Dash (Men - 21.20, Women - 24.00)Martin Jackson 21.16* Aleen Bailey 23.19* Erica Whipple 23.36Miki Barber 23.46
400m Dash (Men - 47.45, Women - 55.00)* Otis Harris 45.76Otukile Lekote 47.11* Jonathan Fortenberry 47.40Lashinda Demus 53.50
1,500m Run (Men - 3:50.00, Women - 4:31.00)William Emase 3:49.23
100m Hurdles (Women - 14.10)* Antoinette Wilks 13.56* Shevon Stoddart 13.92
110m Hurdles (Men - 14.40)* Kenneth Ferguson 13.90* Charles Ryan 13.91* Corey Taylor 13.97* Fred Townsend 14.01
400m Hurdles (Men - 52.70, Women - 1:01.50)* Kenneth Ferguson 49.89* Shevon Stoddart 59.50* Tawana Watkins 1:01.50
High Jump (Men - 2.07m, Women - 1.70m)* Chelsea Hammond 1.72m (5' 7.75")
Long Jump (Men - 7.32m, Women - 5.90m)* Greig Cryer 7.41m (24' 3.75")* Chelsea Hammond 6.28m (20' 7.25") - Personal Record* Kemesha Whitmire 6.27m (20' 7") - Personal Record
Pole Vault (Men - 4.90m, Women - 3.66m)* Chris Steddum 5.16m (16' 11")* Jared Farabee 5.10m (16' 8.75")
Shot Put (Men - 16.30m, Women - 13.90m)* India Odum 15.09m (49' 6.25")
4x100m Relay (Men - 40.70, Women - 46.20)* South Carolina Men 40.44* South Carolina Women 44.00
4x400m Relay (Men - 3:11.50, Women - 3:45.50)* South Carolina Men 3:04.94* South Carolina Women 3:33.30
Notes from the Sea Ray Relays
– South Carolina claimed the shuttle hurdle relay for the second time in three years
– USC also won the 4x100m relay for the second consecutive year
– The Garnet and Black also added their first-ever 4x200m relay title
– Aleen Bailey won her second consecutive 100m and 200m titles and anchored both the 4x100m and 4x200m relays to victory
– Bailey claimed the Tony Wilson Memorial Award for running events for the second straight year, becoming the first repeat winner in that category. Only Pittsburgh’s Trecia Smith, who picked up field event honors in 1999 and 2000, has received the honor twice.
– Over the weekend, South Carolina recorded 10 first place finishes, eight second place finishes, a total of 41 top-10 finishes and notched 31 NCAA Regional Qualifying marks.
– It was Carolina past vs. Carolina present in the women’s 4x400m relay. Carolina past edged Carolina present as four members of the 2002 National Championship team (Tacita Bass, Lisa Barber, Mechelle Lewis, and Demetria Washington) won the relay with a time of 3:32.55. The current USC squad of Shevon Stoddart, Lashinda Demus, Khalilah Carpenter, and Tawana Watkins finished second with a time of 3:33.30.
Tony Wilson Memorial Award Winners
Aleen Bailey – Collects Tony Wilson Award for second straight year after winning the 100m (11.40) and 200m (23.19) dashes for second time in as many years … Also anchored 4x100m and 4x200m relays to first palce finishes in 44.00 and 1:35.05, respectively.
Chelsea Hammond – Won long jump with career-best leap of 20-7.25 and placed fourth in the high jump with a clearance of 5’7.75 … She also ran the third leg on South Carolina’s victorious shuttle hurdle relay.