Nov. 27, 2005
Anchorage, AK – USC placed three players on the Great Alaska Shootout team based on their outstanding performances. The three juniors included Renaldo Balkman, Tre’ Kelley and Tarence Kinsey. Balkman was named Player of the Game after he picked up his first career double-double in the win over Alaska Anchorage.
All three of USC’s games at the Shootout were broadcast nationally on ESPN2, including USC’s 89-92 overtime loss to Marquette in the championship.
USC returns home on Wednes., Nov. 30 to host UNC Greensboro in a 7:30 pm contest at The Colonial Center to be followed by a 4 pm match-up at Clemson on Sat., Dec. 3. The Clemson game will be televised on Fox Sports South.
The following are capsules of Balkman, Kelley and Kinsey in their play at the Shootout.
- 2005-06: Averaging 13.2 ppg/8.0 rpg/3.2 apg/2.2 bpg
- Named to Great Alaska Shootout All-Tournament team; averaged 14.7 PPG, 8.7 RPG, 2.7 APG, 3.0 BPG, 1.3 SPG in three games
- Picked up career highs in REB, AST, BLK (tied)
- In OT Shootout loss to Marquette again scored in double figures w/ 16 PT, 8 REB, career-high 6 AST, 3 BLK in 30 MIN
- In Monmouth win scored 14 PT w/ 6 REB, 6 TO, 2 BLK, 1 STL in 26 MIN
- Named Player of the Game in win over UAA; first double-double of his career w/ 14 PT, 12 REB, tied career-high 4 BLK, 3 STL in 34 MIN
- 2005-06: Averaging 13.6 ppg/2.8 rpg/3.4 apg; Started all 5 games
- Named to Great Alaska Shootout All-Tournament team; averaging 12.7 PPG, 2.3 RPG, 3.3 APG, 1.3 SPG
- Picked up career highs in 3 PT MADE, STL
- Scored career-high 23 PT in Shootout Championship loss to Marquette; 9-16 including career-best 5 3’s, 1 REB, 1 AST in 40 MIN
- Had a season-high 6 TO (4 in the 1st half), but played well in the second half of the Monmouth win w/ 7 PT, 5 REB, 3 AST in 35 MIN
- In win over UAA, dished out game-high 6 AST w/ 8 PT, a career-high 4 STL in 35 MIN (and 6 TO)
- 2005-06: Averaging 18.8 ppg/4.0 rpg/2.4 apg/0.8 spg
- Named to Great Alaska Shootout All-Tournament team; averaging 18.7 PPG, 5.7 RPG, 2.3 APG
- Picked up career high in AST
- For the third time in four games scored 20+ PT; scored 20 PT, w/ 6 REB, career-high 5 AST, 1 BLK, 1 STL in 44 MIN of OT loss to Marquette
- In Monmouth win, tallied 22 PT, 6 REB in 35 MIN (20 of the 22 PT came in the 2nd half)
- Tied for team-high 14 PT w/ 4 REB, 2 AST and career-best 3 BLK in 33 MIN in win over UAA