Feb. 29, 2008
LEXINGTON, KY – The Gamecock men’s tennis team suffered a 5-2 setback to No. 54 Kentucky at the Boone Tennis Complex in Lexington on Friday. Carolina falls to 7-3, with a 0-1 mark in Southeastern Conference play. The Wildcats improve to 6-5, including a 1-0 record in league action.
Carolina lost the doubles points, as the Wildcats quickly swept all three matches. USC’s team of senior Yevgeny Supeko and Diego Cubas fell at No. 1 to Bruno Agostinelli and Brad Cox, 8-5. Sophomore Pedro Campos and freshman Johannes Pulsfort were unable to answer for the Gamecocks, falling to Marcus Sundh and Will Ward, 8-5. UK completed the sweep with an 8-3 victory at No. 3. Will Beck and Shane Collins joined forces for the Wildcats, defeating USC sophomore Ivan Cressoni and redshirt junior Jaime Cuellar.
South Carolina was unable to even the match during singles play, as UK captured four-of-six matches to secure the 5-2 victory. Campos continued a stellar dual-match season for the Gamecocks, improving his individual record to 9-1 with a hard-fought 3-6, 7-5, 6-2 win over UK’s Will Ward at No. 2. Sophomore David Wolff picked up his first SEC singles win of the season, defeating Shane Collins in straight sets at No. 5, 6-3, 6-4. Supeko, Cubas, Pulsfort and Cuellar all suffered a loss in their respective singles match on Friday.
South Carolina continues its first weekend of conference play at Vanderbilt on Sunday. The match is slated to begin at 2 p.m. ET. The Commodores lost to Florida, 6-1, in their SEC opener on Friday.
Complete results are listed below.
UK 5, South Carolina 2
1. Bruno Agostinelli/Brad Cox def. Yevgeny Supeko/Diego Cubas, 8-5
2. Marcus Sundh/Will Ward def. Pedro Campos/Johannes Pulsfort, 8-5
3. Will Beck & Shane Collins def. Cressoni/Cuellar, 8-3
1. Bruno Agostinelli def. Yevgeny Supeko, 7-6, 6-2
2. Will Ward def. Diego Cubas, 6-3. 6-0
3. Pedro Campos def. Brad Cox, 3-6, 7-5, 6-2
4. Marcus Sundh def. Johannes Pulsfort, 6-2, 7-5
5. David Wolff def. Shane Collins, 6-3, 6-4
6. Will Beck def. Jaime Cuellar, 6-2, 6-7, 1-0