No. 19 Gamecocks to Open SEC Play Hosting LSU, Texas A&M
March 2, 2017
COLUMBIA, S.C. — No. 19 South Carolina men’s tennis dives into SEC play this weekend hosting LSU Friday, March 3 at 3 p.m. and No. 27 Texas A&M Sunday, March 5 at 12 p.m. at the Carolina Tennis Center. The Gamecocks are coming off of a productive trip to the Blue Gray National Tennis Classic in Montgomery, Ala. Carolina defeated Texas Tech, 4-3, and Auburn, 4-1, eventually falling to No. 34 Rice, 4-2, in the championship match. Admission and parking for all home tennis matches is free of charge.
- The Gamecocks are 10-2 this season, their two losses coming from No. 34 Rice and No. 12 Georgia Tech.
- Two are ranked for South Carolina; Gabriel Friedrich (43) and Thomas Mayronne (105).
- Senior Andrew Schafer improved to 10-1 in the spring, adding a 3-0 record this weekend at the Blue Gray Invite.
- Junior Gabriel Friedrich has notched seven wins in the No. 1 spot this season, including one over then No. 18 Adam Moundir of Old Dominion.
QUICK HITS: LSU
- One Tiger is ranked in singles play, Justin Butsch (41).
- LSU defeated South Carolina last season 4-3 at home.
- The Tigers are 2-6 in dual play with wins over Lamar, 5-2, and UNF, 4-3.
- Head coach Jeff Brown enters his 18th season at LSU.
QUICK HITS: TEXAS A&M
- The Aggies are 5-3 in dual play, coming off a 4-3 win over Florida St.
- Texas A&M will face No. 10 Florida in Gainesville, Fla. Friday, March 3 before facing the Gamecocks.
- Ranked doubles pairing: Max Lunkin and Arthur Rinderknech (19).
- Ranked singles players: Arthur Rinderknech (16).
- Head coach Steve Denton has been with the Aggies since 2006.
After facing Texas A&M and LSU this weekend, the Gamecocks will face rival Clemson at the Carolina Tennis Center for a chance to earn a point in the Certified SC Grown Palmetto Series. For the latest information on South Carolina men’s tennis follow the Gamecocks on Twitter and Instagram, at gamecockmtennis or check in at GamecocksOnline.com.