Gamecocks Set for ACC Matches at Wake Forest and NC State
COLUMBIA, S.C. – South Carolina will continue its road contests in North Carolina for a pair of dual matches this weekend. The Gamecocks will take on Wake Forest on Saturday at 11 a.m. and will then face No. 6 NC State on Sunday at 2 p.m.
All patrons ages 12 and older will be required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination OR a negative COVID-19 PCR or rapid test taken within 48 hours of the event to enter the Indoor Tennis Center.
Fans attending matches at the Indoor Tennis Center are encouraged to arrive early with the addition of the following health and safety measures.
Prior to entry, fans must either:
- Show their vaccination card or photo or digital image with name and dosage history.
- Digital or photos of vaccination cards are acceptable.
- Show their printed or digital negative COVID-19 PCR or rapid test.
Individuals who cannot provide proof of vaccination or a valid negative COVID-19 test according to the conditions outlined above will not be allowed to enter Wake Forest Athletics indoor events.
- With a 4-2 win over Princeton at ITA Kickoff Weekend, the Gamecocks earned their first win of the season and head coach Kevin Epley notched his 300th career win.
- In the top doubles spot in the match, junior Ayana Akli and freshman Misa Malkin downed the No. 3 doubles pair 6-3 to help the Gamecocks secure the doubles point.
- Elise Mills notably upset the No. 23 player on Princeton’s squad in the No. 2 spot to earn the second point for the Gamecocks in the match. Mills is undefeated in singles this spring.
- Malkin clinched the match with a 6-4, 6-4 upset over the No. 60 singles player.
- In the first-round ITA Kickoff Weekend match against Texas Tech, junior Ana Cruz fended off the No. 89 player to prevent her from adding a point to the Red Raiders’ total. Mills also held the No. 47 player at bay.
- Three Gamecocks are ranked in singles: No. 2 Sarah Hamner, No. 28 Ayana Akli and No. 118 Megan Davies. Doubles pair Davies/Allie Gretkowski earned the No. 37 ranking.
- South Carolina’s seven returners and four newcomers are led by head coach Kevin Epley (10th season), associate head coach Ty Schaub (3rd season) and volunteer assistant coach Jason Kerst (1st season).
Scouting the Demon Deacons
- Wake Forest is 2-2 with a 7-0 win against Davidson College and a 4-2 win against Northwestern.
- The Demon Deacons advanced to the championship match at ITA Kickoff Weekend but fell to then-No. 8 NC State 4-0.
- Wake Forest faced one SEC opponent this season in Tennessee. The Lady Volunteers came out on top in a close 4-3 decision.
- No. 35 Carolyn Campana, No. 58 Casie Wooten and No. 75 Anna Campana are ranked in singles for Wake Forest. No. 2 Anna Brylin/Brooke Killingsworth and No. 15 Samantha Martinelli/Wooten earned spots on the doubles list.
- The Demon Deacons have won the doubles point in three out of their four matches.
- The 10-member squad is led by head coach Jeff Wyshner and associate head coach Andy Roland, both in their 12th season.
The Wake Forest Series
- South Carolina is 14-9 in dual matches against Wake Forest, including a 5-4 away record.
- The last time the Gamecocks made the trip to Winston-Salem they came away with a 4-3 win.
- South Carolina most recently defeated Wake Forest in 2019 in a 4-0 decision at home which is the largest margin of victory in series history.
- The Demon Deacons last took down the Gamecocks 4-1 in 2006 during the first round of the NCAA tournament in Chapel Hill, N.C.
- South Carolina has won the doubles point in each of the past four meetings.
- The two teams last met in January 2022 during the Carolina Kickoff tournament, in which South Carolina went 3-1 in doubles against Wake Forest.
Scouting the Wolfpack
- No. 6 NC State is currently 5-0 and will play No. 21 Tennessee on Friday ahead of the match against South Carolina.
- The Wolfpack moved up two spots in the ITA Top 25 Coaches Poll after going 2-0 at ITA Kickoff Weekend. They downed both Penn State and Wake Forest 4-0 to advance to ITA National Indoors.
- NC State boasts three ranked singles players in No. 8 Jaeda Daniel, No. 24 Alana Smith, and No. 25 Abigail Rencheli. They also have the No. 21 doubles pair in Daniel/Smith.
- Both Daniel and Smith are on a two-match win streak in singles.
- NC State’s seven returners and lone freshman are led by head coach Simon Earnshaw (8th season) and assistant coach David Secker (5th season).
The NC State Series
- South Carolina sits at 13-3 all-time against NC State with a 4-2 away record.
- The Gamecocks last topped the Wolfpack 5-2 in 2008 by securing the doubles point and four singles points.
- NC State took the 6-1 win in each of the last two meetings. The 2020 Wolfpack win took place in Raleigh.
- South Carolina has the longest winning streak in the series with 12 wins. NC State, however, is on a two-match winning streak.
Match Day Coverage
- Wake Forest: live scoring for the match can be found here and live video can be found here.
- NC State: live scoring for the match can be found here and live video can be found here.
For more information on South Carolina women’s tennis, check out the team on GamecocksOnline and on social media: