Gamecocks Travel to #21 LSU
BATON ROUGE, La. – The South Carolina softball team prepares to take on a different set of Tigers, when the Gamecocks face the 21st ranked LSU Tigers for an SEC series April 14-16. Saturday’s game will be broadcast on the SEC Network.
When: April 14 | 7 p.m. ET; April 15 | 7p.m. ET; April 16 | Noon ET
Where: Baton Rouge, La.
Venue: Tiger Park (2,671)
Live Stats: Statbroadcast Game 1 | Game 2 | Game 3
Live Video: SECN+ Game 1 | Game 2; SECN Game 3
Series History: LSU leads 48-19
Last Meeting: LSU 7, South Carolina 3 | May 12, 2021 | Tuscaloosa, Ala.
South Carolina Gamecocks 23-18, 2-10 SEC
Coach: Beverly Smith | 12th Season
AVG Leader: .341 | Riley Blampied
RBI Leader: 37 | Katie Prebble
Home Run Leader: 12 | Katie Prebble
ERA Leader: 2.33 | Skylar Trahan
Strikeout Leader: 68 | Bailey Betenbaugh
Wins Leader: 5 | Three tied
#21 LSU Tigers 24-16, 5-7 SEC
Coach: Beth Torina | 11th Season
AVG Leader: .398 | Danieca Coffey
RBI Leader: 45 | Georgia Clark
Home Run Leader: 11 | Shelbi Sunseri and Georgia Clark
ERA Leader: 2.32 | Ali Kilponen
Strikeout Leader: 97 | Ali Kilponen
Wins Leader: 13 | Ali Kilponen
- LSU won last year’s only meeting in the SEC Tournament.
- In Baton Rouge, the Gamecocks are 6-25 all-time. Their last meeting in Louisiana came in 2019, with the Tigers taking the series 2-1.
- Katie Prebble hit 10 home runs in her first 24 games of the season, which were the most by any Gamecock in recorded history (since 1982).
- Through 41 games, Prebble’s 12 home runs are tied for the most with Alaynie Page (2015). Her 12 home runs are tied for fourth most in a single season.
- The 37 RBIs by Prebble are the third most under Smith, topped only by Kassidy Krupit last season (43) and Page in 2013 (39)
- Jordan Fabian’s 26 walks are second and Hannah Kumiyama’s 24 are third to start a season under Smith. They trail only Mackenzie Boesel’s 29 from last year.
- The 142 walks by the team are the most under coach Smith through 41 games.
- The 16 stolen bases by Jordan Fabian through 41 games are the most since Samie Garcia (16) in 2013.
- The 57 stolen bases by Carolina are the most to start a season since stealing 56 in 2013. It’s the third time under Smith they’ve stolen at least 57 (2011, 13)
- The 218 RBIs are the most through 41 games since 2019, and are third most under Smith (2013, 223; 2019, 230).
- Freshman Emma Sellers’ 29 hits through 41 games are the most by a freshman since Mackenzie Boesel had 41 hits in 2017.
- The Gamecocks opened the season at home for the third straight year. Last season the team opened the season with Carolina Classic, but was canceled due to weather.
- South Carolina has opened the season at home in 7 of 12 seasons under Bev Smith.
- The 2022 roster features 22 total players. A total of seven different states are represented.
For the latest on South Carolina Softball, visit GamecockSoftball.com or follow the team’s social media accounts on Twitter @GamecockSoftbll, Facebook /GamecockSoftball, and Instagram @GamecockSoftball.