Gamecocks Close Regular Season With Wednesday Sweep
South Carolina's postseason run begins April 28 with the start of its conference tournament
COLUMBIA, S.C. – Gamecock beach volleyball concluded their regular season at home Wednesday evening, defeating Erskine College by a 5-0 score. South Carolina enters the postseason with a 20-10 overall record.
The team started all five of its graduating members in the dual, including Courtney Weber in the fifth pairing making her first start in the lineup and Nicole Deobler making her second and teaming with senior Abby Carroll in the fourth pairing. The Gamecocks made quick work on both courts to open the dual, with Weber and teammate Sophie Bengoechea winning 21-14, 21-15 and Carroll and Deobler winning 21-17, 21-9.
With the 2-0 lead, South Carolina carried the momentum into the final three courts. Senior Jordan Smith and freshman Lauren Wilcock clinched the team victory with a 21-10, 21-7 rout on court two and senior Whitley Ballard also swept her match on court one, teaming with Skylar Allen for a 21-17, 21-10 win. Kaeli Crews and Hannah Mackenhausen wrapped up the sweep with a 21-13, 21-10 win on court three, the 18th win of the season for the duo.
For continued updates on the team, follow @GamecockBeachVB on Twitter and Instagram.
- This is the sixth 20-win season in program history, and not counting the COVID-19-abbreviated 2020 season they have all come in a row.
- South Carolina finishes the ninth regular season in program history with a 9-4 record in home events, improving its all-time record on Wheeler Beach to 68-24 (.739)
- Lauren Wilcock secured her team-leading 24th win of the season, moving her into a six-way for eighth-most in a single season in program history.
- Jordan Smith moved into sole possession of eighth place in program history for career wins, now with 53.
- Skylar Allen won her 17th match of the season on court one, the second-highest single-season win total at the number one pairing in program history. She only trails her own record of 20, set last spring.
The Gamecocks have the upcoming weekend off, then travel to Huntsville, Ala. for their conference tournament April 28-30. More information will be announced soon for the event.
No. 19 South Carolina 5, Erskine College 0
1. Skylar Allen/Whitley Ballard (SC) def. Morgan Browne/Olivia Browne (ERSKINE) 21-17, 21-10
2. Jordan Smith/Lauren Wilcock (SC) def. Marissa Possenriede/Karina Petrovich (ERSKINE) 21-10, 21-7
3. Hannah Mackenhausen/Kaeli Crews (SC) def. Mallory Carter/Kylie McKean (ERSKINE) 21-13, 21-10
4. Nicole Deobler/Abby Carroll (SC) def. Allison Carter/M.J. Cackett (ERSKINE) 21-17, 21-9
5. Courtney Weber/Sophie Bengoechea (SC) def. Maisy Garner/Kaile Tuisamatatele (ERSKINE) 21-14, 21-15
Ex. Peyton Gray/Kennedy Westendorff (SC) def. Allison Dutterer/Emily Gilbert (ERSKINE) 19-21, 21-18, 15-9
Order of Finish: 4,5,2,1,3*