Gamecocks in the Show - July 21
The second half of the Major League Baseball season begins today (July 21). Here’s an update on how the Gamecocks in the Pros faired up to the All-Star Break.
- Jackie Bradley Jr. (Boston Red Sox) – Bradley Jr. has played in 82 games for the Boston Red Sox this season. He has 16 doubles, a triple, a home run and 25 RBI for a team that enters the second half two games out of the final Wild Card slot in the American League. Bradley also pitched on July 8 against the New York Yankees and had a strikeout in an inning of work.
- Jonah Bride (Oakland Athletics) – Bride played in 12 games after being called up to the Oakland Athletics and had nine hits, which included a double and an RBI with three walks, but a collision in the field on June 26 at Kansas City placed Bride on the Injured List. He is currently on a rehab assignment in Las Vegas and should rejoin the Athletics in the next few days.
- Wil Crowe (Pittsburgh Pirates) – Crowe has appeared in 38 games for the Pittsburgh Pirates and has a 3.31 ERA, three wins, a pair of saves and 13 holds in 51.2 innings pitched. Opponents are hitting just .202 off of Crowe.
- Whit Merrifield (Kansas City Royals) – Merrifield saw his streak of playing in 553 consecutive games end on July 11 after injuring his toe the day prior against Cleveland. On the year, Merrifield has 18 doubles, a triple, five home runs and 36 RBI with 14 stolen bases for the Royals.
- Jordan Montgomery (New York Yankees) – Montgomery, pitching for the AL East leading New York Yankees, is 3-2 with a 3.26 ERA and 80 strikeouts in 102 innings pitched in 18 starts. He had eight strikeouts in five innings of work at Cleveland on July 3.
- Christian Walker (Arizona Diamondbacks) – Walker continues to give the Arizona Diamondbacks a home run presence in the middle of the lineup. He has 22 home runs on the year, which is 11th in the Major Leagues and fourth in the National League. Walker also has 12 doubles, a triple and 46 RBI in 90 games played.