Gamecocks Take on Flyers to Wrap Up Wolstein Classic Sunday
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The South Carolina men’s soccer team wraps up its opening weekend at the Wolstein Classic when the Gamecocks take on Dayton Sunday, August 28, at noon.
For their second match of the season, the Gamecocks will again face an opponent they have never faced in the program’s 45-year history. The Flyers have been playing soccer since 1956 and have never played a program from the Sun Belt Conference. They earned a 5-0 win over Cal Poly in their first match of the Wolstein Classic Thursday afternoon.
Gameday Information – Wolstein Classic
When: August 28 | noon
Where: Columbus, Ohio
Venue: Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium (8,000)
Live Stats: StatBroadcast
Series History: First meeting
South Carolina Gamecocks 0-0-1, 0-0 SBC
Coach: Tony Annan | 2nd Season – 5-9-3
Goal Leader: 1 | Harrison Myring
Assist Leader: 1 | John Eskay
Points Leader: 2 | Harrison Myring
Shots Leader: 2 | Three tied
Saves Leader: 7 | Ben Alexander
Dayton Flyers 1-0, 0-0 Atlantic 10
Coach: Dennis Currier | 18th Season
Goal Leader: 1 | Five tied
Assist Leader: 2 | Andy Sanchez
Points Leader: 4 | Andy Sanchez
Shots Leader: 7 | Forster Ajago
Saves Leader: 3 | Dario Caetano
Taking the Pitch
- This is the first meeting between the Gamecocks and Flyers.
- The two programs have combined to play 111 years of Division I soccer.
- They have combined to win 1,036 matches.
- Each program has won over 500 matches (516, Carolina; 521, Dayton).
- South Carolina has not faced a current Atlantic 10 program since 2009, when it fell to Davidson on the road, although Davidson was not a member at the time.
- The last time they played an Atlantic 10 program at the time was Charlotte in 2012. The Gamecocks fell in double overtime 3-2.
- This is the first time since 2011 the Gamecocks have played two matches on the road to start the season.
- It’s the fourth time in program history (2011, 1995, 1994, 1990) playing two matches on the road to open the year.