Men’s Soccer Travels to James Madison for Sun Belt Contest
HARRISONBURG, Va. – The South Carolina men’s soccer returns to Sun Belt Conference action Saturday (Sept. 30), as the Gamecocks travel to James Madison for a 7 p.m. kickoff.
Gameday Information – #WEareCarolina
When: September 30 | 7 p.m.
Where: Harrisonburg, Va.
Venue: Sentara Park (1,500)
Live Stats: StatBroadcast
Series History: Tied 0-0-1
Last Meeting: South Carolina 1, James Madison 1 | Oct 23, 2022 | Columbia, S.C.
South Carolina Gamecocks 2-5-1, 1-1 Sun Belt
Coach: Tony Annan | 3rd Season – 12-22-7
Goal Leader: 2 | Adam Luckhurst and Ethan Dekel Daks
Assist Leader: 2 | Mika Habel
Points Leader: 4 | Adam Luckhurst and Ethan Dekel Daks
Shots Leader: 20 | Ethan Dekel Daks
Saves Leader: 24 | Ben Alexander
James Madison Dukes 4-3-2, 0-2 Sun Belt
Coach: Paul Zazenski | 6th Season
Goal Leader: 5 | Clay Obara
Assist Leader: 3 | Three tied
Points Leader: 11 | Clay Obara
Shots Leader: 21 | Clay Obara
Saves Leader: 31 | Sebastian Conlon
Taking the Pitch
- This will be the 2nd meeting between the Gamecocks and Dukes.
- The two teams met for the first time last season.
- The match was played to a 1-1 draw in Columbia.
- The Dukes scored in the 33rd minute, but the Gamecocks responded in the 42nd minute with a goal from Adam Luckhurst.
- All-Time, the Gamecocks are 10-9-2 when playing in the state of Virginia.
- The Gamecocks held Georgia State to one shot on goal last Friday night. It was the first time since 2014 (also against GSU), that they’ve held a team to 1 SOG or less.
- South Carolina defeated No. 24 Kentucky for the first time since 2016 and the first time in Lexington since 2012.
- It was their first win over a ranked opponent since 2019.
- Ben Alexander was named the Sun Belt Defensive Player of the Week.
- He was the first Gamecock to win a Sun Belt POW award and the first defensive player to earn any POW honor since 2017.
- The Gamecocks tallied four goals in the match against Queens, their first four-goal match since scoring four against Winthrop on Sept. 9, 2022.
- Carolina also earned five assists in the match, the first time they finished with five in a match since Sept. 5, 2006, against Centenary.
- This is the 45th season of South Carolina men’s soccer.
- The Gamecocks have an all-time record of 523-283-83.
- South Carolina finished the regular season last year leading the nation in average attendance with 2,839 fans per game.
- The Gamecocks begin their second season in the Sun Belt Conference.
- Carolina was picked to finish fifth in the conference by the coaches.
- Peter Clement and Adam Luckhurst will serve as team captains for the season.
- The roster features 10 newcomers; five transfers and five true freshmen.
- They return eight starters from a season ago, including four starters in the defensive end.
- The team return Adam Luckhurst who led the Gamecocks in every offensive category.