Feb. 28, 2003
Columbia, S.C. – After picking up a highly contested doubles point the No. 15 South Carolina men’s tennis team used three singles victories to open the SEC season with a win over Mississippi State and improve their season record to 8-0. The win was a milestone victory for Kent DeMars as the Gamecock coached earned his 500th career victory. MSU leads the all time series between the two schools 11-4, but South Carolina’s four victories have come in the last six contests.
Tom Eklund and Marcus Westman paced the Gamecocks in doubles with an 8-5 win in the No.1 position over Romain Ambert and Rene-Charles Combette. Seth Rose and Carl Wermee clinched the doubles point for the Gamecocks at the No. 2 position with a 9-7 win over Florent Girod and Jerome Le Belicard.
In singles, Angelo Niculescu was victorious at No.2 by a score of 7-5, 6-3 over Jerome Le Belicard. Ben Atkinson used a straight set win by the score of 6-2, 6-0 to earn USC the point at No.6 singles over Matt Armstrong. Carl Wermee clinched the Gamecock victory with 6-2, 4-6, 6-2 win playing at No.5 against Florent Girod.
The Gamecocks will be back in action Sunday, visiting No. 8 Mississippi. Play is scheduled to begin at 1:00 p.m.
#15 SOUTH CAROLINA 4, #36 MISSISSIPPI STATE 3
1. Tom Eklund/Marcus Westman (USC) def. Romain Ambert/Rene-Charles Combette (MSU) 8-5
2. Seth Rose/Carl Wermee (USC) def. Florent Girod/Jerome Le Belicard (MSU) 9-7
3. Max Fomine/Michael Hailey (MSU) def. Geraldo Knorr/Angelo Niculescu (USC) 9-8(4).
1. Romain Ambert (MSU) def. Seth Rose (USC) 6-3, 6-2
2. Angelo Niculescu (USC) def. Jerome Le Belicard (MSU) 7-5, 6-3
3. Rene-Charles Combette def. Marcus Westman (USC) 6-2, 6-1
4. Max Fomine (MSU) def. Tom Eklund (USC) 3-6, 7-6(1), 1-0(8)
5. Carl Wermee (USC) def. Florent Girod (MSU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
6. Ben Atkinson (USC) def. Matt Armstrong (MSU) 6-2, 6-0.