2023 HALL OF FAME INDUCTION CEREMONY
Thursday, October 12, 2023
Doors Open 5:30 PM
Cockaboose Club at Williams-Brice Stadium
Located in the south end of Williams-Brice Stadium
Click here to purchase tickets!
$45 per person by October 1st
$55 per person after October 1st
Parking will be available in Lot A, B, & D off of Key Road
Additional event details will be communicated to attendees closer to event date
Former Inductees: contact Shelley Leavitt to RSVP at firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of South Carolina Athletics Hall of Fame was established in 1967. Since that time, 213 individuals have been inducted. The Hall of Fame includes former standout athletes, coaches, administrators, announcers, athletic trainers, and others associated with the University’s athletics department who have greatly contributed their time and efforts to make our athletics better.
Class of 2022
Joyce ComptonHead Coach
Laura Bernstein Kassirer
Track & Field
Track & Field
Making a Nomination
Minimum requirements to be nominated for the Hall of Fame (for former athletes) include at least one of the following:
- Conference Player of the Year
- National Player of the Year
- All-America First or Second Team
- All-Conference First Team
- All-South Independent First Team (when the University was not in a conference)
- Team MVP
- School Record Holder
For those who have contributed greatly to the success of our athletics department off the field of play: Those individuals will be considered by the Hall of Fame committee on an individual basis. Our Hall of Fame committee consists of nine members, all of whom have earned a letter at the University, or have achieved Hall of Fame recognition in the past. The nine members are a cross section of sports, race, and sex, and serve on a rotating basis.
To nominate an individual for the Hall of Fame, please give a written bio, including all honors achieved, to a member of the athletics department, the Lettermen’s Association, Tommy Moody (committee chairman since 1998), or to:
Lettermen’s Association Coordinator
Rice Athletics Center
1304 Heyward Street
Columbia, SC 29208
Former student-athletes can be nominated for jersey retirement by a recommendation being sent to the head coach and/or athletics director. Factors considered are: whether the nominee is a graduate, or at least in good academic standing, with a reasonable opportunity to graduate, and one or more of the following:
- University record holder;
- A consensus All-American;
- A consensus National Player of the Year (Naismith, Wooden, Heisman, Outland, Golden Spikes);
- An Olympic medalist while a student at USC; or
- An All SEC 1st or 2nd team for 3 years.
Former Head Coaches. Former head coaches can be nominated for jersey retirement by a recommendation being sent to the head coach and/or athletics director. Factors considered are the overall career win record, career win record at the University, length of tenure at the University, and one or more of the following:
- A Conference championship win(s)
- A NCAA national championship win(s)
- Coach for NCAA national championship record holder(s)
- Iconic status within the South Carolina University community and with the general public
- The candidate must be recommended by the head coach, in writing to and supported by the athletics director, in order to be forwarded to the selection committee.
- There is a FIVE year waiting period, which begins at the conclusion of the student-athlete’s final season of collegiate competition.
- Forwarded by the athletics director, the committee members will include:
- The athletics director or designee
- Both a male and female head coach
- A former recipient (if available)
- A member of the Lettermen’s Association
- Board member of Intercollegiate Activities Committee of the Board of Trustees
The University of South Carolina will retire jerseys, but will not retire numbers. Those numbers previously retired will continue to be in a retired state. A previously retired number may only be used provided written permission is sought and approved by the retired number recipient.
Class of 2021
Dr. Mike McGeeAthletics Director
Nancy WilsonHead Coach
Kim Hudson WilliamsHead Coach
Track & Field
John AbrahamDefensive End