Feb. 4, 2007
COLUMBIA, S.C. – The University of South Carolina men’s tennis team earned a 7-0 victory over Appalachian State University Sunday at the USC Indoor Field house. The win extends the Gamecocks’ record to 3-0 overall.
South Carolina got off to a good start with the help of senior standout Pedro Rodrigues, seeing his first action of the season, and redshirt sophomore Thomas Stoddard, who teamed for an impressive 8-1 victory over the Mountaineers’ Lee Floyd and David Doverspike at the No. 3 doubles slot. At second doubles, South Carolina’s Jaime Cuellar and Ivan Cressoni defeated Dimitar Dimitrov and Peter Jacobs in a tough set, 8-6. With the point secure, junior Yevgeny Supeko and freshman Pedro Campos finished the doubles sweep with an 8-4 victory at first doubles over Trent Constance and Ryan Brookshaw.
Things continued to go smoothly for Carolina after the break as Cuellar bested Brookshaw in straight sets, 6-1, 6-1. It was the second match in a row that Cuellar got on the board first and the second straight match that he held his opponent to two games or less.
At No. 3 singles, Campos proved similar dominance, winning both sets 6-2 over Dimitrov.
With a 3-0 advantage for the Gamecocks, Supeko looked to clinch the match at first singles. After an intense first set victory, 7-6 (1) the junior stepped it up in the second set, defeating ASU’s Constance 6-1, to wrap up the victory for Carolina.
With the match in hand, fourth singles player David Wolff delivered a courageous effort, overcoming an opening set, 6-4 loss to Floyd by dominating the last two sets 6-2, 6-1.
At fifth singles, Cressoni added to the Gamecocks’ lead. He also overcame an opening set loss by battling back to win the final two sets and the match, 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 (7).
At sixth singles, Spencer Feldman capped the Carolina shutout by winning in convincing fashion over the Mountaineers’ David Doverspike. After only losing two games in the opening set, Feldman closed out his match with a notable 6-0 victory in the second set.
South Carolina 7, Appalachian State 0
1. Supeko/Campos (USC) def. Constance/Brookshaw (ASU), 8-4
2. Cuellar/Cressoni (USC) def. Dimitrov/Jacobs (ASU), 8-6
3. Rodrigues/Stoddard (USC) def. Floyd/Doverspike (ASU), 8-1
1. Yevgeny Supeko (USC) def. Trent Constance (ASU), 7-6 (1), 6-1
2. Jaime Cuellar (USC) def. Ryan Brookshaw (ASU), 6-1, 6-1
3. Pedro Campos (USC) def. Dimitar Dimitrov (ASU), 6-2, 6-2
4. David Wolff (USC) def. Lee Floyd (ASU), 4-6, 6-2, 6-1
5. Ivan Cressoni (USC) def. Zack Williams (ASU), 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 (7)
6. Spencer Feldman (USC) def. David Doverspike (ASU), 6-2, 6-0
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1 (Doubles); 2, 3, 1*, 4, 5, 6 (Singles)
* Clinched match