Skip to main content
Partner logo
Mobile Icon Link Mobile Icon Link Mobile Icon Link Gamecocks+

Nov. 9, 2007


Final Stats

COLUMBIA, S.C. – Behind a two-goal performance from freshman forward Mike Lindsay, including his first game-winning tally of the season, the University of South Carolina men’s soccer team netted a 2-1, overtime victory against Kentucky on Senior Night Friday at Stone Stadium. Lindsay connected on a pass from sophomore defender Mark Wiltse in the 95th minute for the deciding Carolina upperhand. The win improves the Gamecocks’ record to 10-5-2, with a 4-2-2 mark in league play. Kentucky falls to 7-9-2, 5-3-0 C-USA with the loss. South Carolina advances to the Conference USA Championship Tournament, held in Birmingham, Ala., beginning Nov. 14.

“I want to congratulate our guys on a hard-fought win tonight,” South Carolina head coach Mark Berson said. “Both teams battled for the entire match. We created a lot of chances but we weren’t able to capitalize. Give credit to Kentucky – they came back and tied the game. I thought our guys showed a lot of character in finding a way to win at the end.”

Prior to the match, Carolina honored its six graduating seniors – Ramon Paracat, J.D. Moon, Daniel Upchurch, Jeff Gross, Geoff del Forn and Matt King – for their contributions to the Gamecock soccer team during their respective careers.

Carolina dominated the offensive side of the match, attempting 13 shots against seven by the Wildcats. Freshman forward Blake Brettschneider led USC with five shots, including two on net, while Lindsay and Wiltse each contributed two shots in the match. Junior midfielder Brennan Williams assisted on the first Carolina tally of the night. The helper was his first of the season.

In net for the Gamecocks, freshman goalkeeper Jimmy Maurer collected a game-best five saves, while Wildcat counterpart Dan Williams allowed two goals, while making two saves. Luke Maitland scored the lone Kentucky tally on an assist from Brad Frederick in the 54th minute of the match.

Carolina out-shot Kentucky 8-2 in the first half, including Lindsay’s first goal of the match in the 41st minute to send USC into the halftime break with a 1-0 advantage. It didn’t take long for the Wildcats to answer in the second half, as Maitland evened the match in the 54th minute on a header past Maurer inside the Carolina six-yard box.

The teams matched offensive attacks in the second half, as Brettschneider, senior forward Daniel Upchurch and Williams each had opportunities in front of the net late in the set but failed to capitalize. Maurer made a crucial save on a shot by UK’s Patrick Conyea late in the half and Williams held the Gamecocks scoreless, forcing the first sudden death overtime period.

Carolina continued its momentum into the overtime session, as Wiltse made a strong defensive steal at midfield in the 95th minute and made a pass through two Kentucky defenders to Lindsay who scored the game-winner for the Gamecocks. Carolina’s record in overtime games this season improves to 3-0-2.

The Gamecocks travel to Birmingham, Ala., next week to participate in the Conference USA Championship Tournament. Please visit on Sunday for complete and final tournament information, including bracket and game times.