Skip to main content
Partner logo
Mobile Icon Link Mobile Icon Link Mobile Icon Link Gamecocks+

Nov. 14, 2007


Final Stats

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – Mike Lindsay scored in his second-straight match, and Jeff Scannella netted his team-leading seventh goal, including the fourth game winner of the season, as fourth-seeded South Carolina defeated No. 5 Memphis, 2-1, in overtime in the first round of the Conference USA Tournament at West Campus Field (UAB) on Wednesday. The win improves Carolina’s record to 11-5-2 for the season, while Memphis ends its C-USA postseason run with a 10-5-4 mark. South Carolina will face the winner of the No. 8 UAB vs. No. 1 Tulsa contest that started at 9 p.m. ET on Wednesday.

“I was very proud of our guys tonight,” South Carolina head coach Mark Berson said. “We showed a lot of resilience with our ability to battle for the entire match, which proved to be the difference maker in the end. Both teams were evenly matched, and I just want to credit our guys for finding a way to win in the end. Memphis has a good team, and this was a good win for us.”

South Carolina tallied 12 shots against eight by the Tigers. Lindsay continued his hot streak, pacing USC with three shots, and his fourth goal of the season, including his third in the last two games, both Carolina victories. Scannella, a first team all-conference selection, and freshman forward Blake Brettschneider, an all-freshman team honoree, proved they are emerging leaders for the Gamecock offense, each contributing two shots on net in the victory.

Conference USA’s Freshman of the Year, goalkeeper Jimmy Maurer tallied two saves for the Gamecocks. Memphis netminder Tyler Strom collected a game-high six saves, while allowing two goals in the loss. Tiger midfielder Kevin Walsh was assisted by midfielder Tripp Harkins on the lone Memphis goal of the match.

Memphis marked the scoreboard in the 13th minute on Walsh’s tally for an early 1-0 upperhand. Carolina answered quickly with Lindsay’s score in the 14th minute, his third-consecutive Gamecock goal, to even the match at 1-1. USC had numerous chances the remainder of the half, matching Memphis’ four shots, but neither team was able to find the back of the net to hold the score at 1-1 entering the intermission.

The teams matched offensive chances in the second half, with Carolina out-shooting the Tigers, 4-2, through the first 25 minutes of play. Memphis failed to capitalize in back-to-back corners in the 77th minute, and the Gamecocks were unable to take advantage of a late corner kick opportunity, sending the contest into the first sudden-death overtime session.

Just 30 seconds into the overtime period, Lindsay took a hard foul inside the Tiger 18-yard box, drawing a penalty kick for the Gamecocks. Scannella stepped to the 12-yard hash and sent a bullet over the out-stretched hands of Strom for the winning Carolina tally in the 91st minute.

The Gamecocks will face the winner of the final first round game between No. 8 seed and No. 1 seed Tulsa in the semifinals on Friday at 8:30 p.m. ET.