March 23, 2008
COLUMBIA, S.C. – The South Carolina men’s tennis team suffered a 4-0 setback to No. 5 Mississippi on Sunday in Southeastern Conference play at the Sam Daniel Tennis Facility. South Carolina falls to 8-8, 0-6 SEC, while Ole Miss improves to 13-4, with a 4-2 mark in league play.
South Carolina put up a strong fight in doubles action, as all three courts were tied at 4-4 before Mississippi took control. Matthias Wellermann and Tucker Vorster joined forces for an 8-4 victory at No. 3 over USC’s Thomas Stoddard and Johannes Pulsfort and Erling Tveit and Jonas Berg, ranked sixth in the most recent ITA doubles rankings, followed with an 8-6 win at No. 1 over Yevgeny Supeko and Pedro Campos to take the doubles point.
The Rebels continued to dominate in singles play, as Vorster defeated Carolina’s David Wolff at No. 6 in straight sets, 6-3, 6-1 and Berg collected a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Pulsfort at No. 4 to push the match lead to 3-0. Campos battled Mississippi’s Robbye Poole at No. 3, but the 32nd-ranked Poole closed the match in straight sets, 6-1, 6-2, to clinch the match for the Rebels.
At the time of the fourth Rebel point, Carolina’s Supeko was leading 15th-ranked Wellermann, 6-4, 4-1 on court one and Cubas had control over 13th-ranked Tveit on court two, 3-6, 5-0, however, the respective matches were not finished.
South Carolina continues SEC play when it travels to LSU on March 28 for a 3 p.m. ET match, followed by a 2 p.m. ET match at Arkansas on March 30.
No. 5 Mississippi 4, No. 70 South Carolina 0
1. Tveit/Berg def. Supeko/Campos, 8-6
2. Klaeson/Vorster vs. Cubas/Cressoni, 6-6, dnf.
3. Wellermann/Norberg def. Stoddard/Pulsfort, 8-4
Order of finish: 3, 1
1. Yevgeny Supeko (USC) vs. Matthias Wellermann, 6-4, 4-1, dnf.
2. Diego Cubas (USC) vs. Erling Tveit, 3-6, 5-0, dnf.
3. Robbye Poole def. Pedro Campos (USC), 6-1, 6-2
4. Jonas Berg def. Johannes Pulsfort (USC), 6-1, 6-1
5. Ivan Cressoni (USC) vs. Kalle Norberg, 4-6, 0-5, dnf.
6. Tucker Vorster def. David Wolff (USC), 6-3, 6-1
Order of finish: 6, 4, 3