Skip to main content
Partner logo
Mobile Icon Link Mobile Icon Link Mobile Icon Link Gamecocks+

Sept. 2, 2008

Final Stats

COLUMBIA, S.C. – The Gamecock men’s soccer team (1-0-1) drew a 1-1 tie against Presbyterian College (0-1-1) in double overtime at Stone Stadium on Tuesday. Sophomore Sam Arthur scored his second goal of the season for the Gamecocks. South Carolina out-shot the Blue Hose 20-7 in the match, but was unable to capitalize on offensive chances late in the contest.

“I think we obviously were not prepared to play tonight,” head coach Mark Berson said. “We demonstrated that from the opening whistle to the closing whistle. We made a lot of mental mistakes and Presbyterian played very well. They played inspired, played well, and we just can’t afford to take a rest on any game.”

Both teams played a very physical match, as PC tallied 32 fouls against 23 by the Gamecocks. South Carolina dominated on the offensive side of the pitch, posting 20 shots against just seven by the Blue Hose. Arthur led the Gamecocks with a career high nine shots, including six on goal, while seniors Spencer Lewis and David Smith each contributed three shots for Carolina.

Sophomore goalkeeper Jimmy Maurer played a solid match in net for the Gamecocks, collecting five saves, while allowing just one goal. Blue Hose counterpart Andrew Brandt allowed one goal against seven saves in the match.

Both teams failed to capitalize on chances in their respective offensive thirds of the pitch during the first half, where Carolina held a 7-4 advantage on shots. With 20 minutes remaining in the half, Blue Hose defender Nick Whicker drew his second yellow card of the match, forcing PC to play a man down the remainder of the game. The decrease in numbers seemed to work in PC’s favor, as they were able to hold the Gamecock offense to few chances the remainder of the half.

With the contest scoreless following the halftime intermission, Carolina looked to gain a quick advantage, posting three shots within the first five minutes of the half, including a near miss off the opening kick off. The Gamecocks scored their lone goal of the match in the 63rd minute, as junior defender Mario Burstein sent a through ball to Arthur who maneuvered through the PC defense, sending the ball into the back of the net for a 1-0 Carolina upperhand.

PC evened the match with just under six minutes to play. Kashif Siddiqi capitalized on a free ball at the 18-yard mark, connecting on a half-volley just past the out-stretched hands of Maurer to knot the score at 1-1.

Both teams had their chances throughout the two golden-goal overtime periods but were unable to connect. Carolina posted two shots on four corner kick attempts in the second overtime session and the defense held PC to few offensive possessions, however the Gamecocks failed to score, ending the match in a 1-1 tie.

South Carolina travels to the Wake Forest Deacon Classic, Sept. 5-7, in Winston-Salem, N.C. The Gamecocks will face North Carolina (Sept. 5, 5 p.m.) and host Wake Forest (Sept. 7, 3:30 p.m.) at the two-day event.