Skip to main content
Partner logo
Mobile Icon Link Mobile Icon Link Mobile Icon Link Gamecocks+

Oct. 17, 2008

Final Stats

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Alabama scored the lone goal of the game in the 17th minute as the South Carolina women’s soccer team dropped a 1-0 decision Friday night at a chilly UA Soccer Complex. South Carolina outshot Alabama 20-6 and held an 11-2 edge in corner kicks but could not get one to cross the frame after dominating in the second half. With the loss, South Carolina falls to 10-3-3 overall and 4-2-1 in SEC play. Alabama improves to 9-5-1 and 4-3-0 in conference action.

The match ends a three-game South Carolina winning streak against the Crimson Tide.

“It was a game of missed opportunities,” South Carolina head coach Shelley Smith said. “Give credit to Alabama. We limited their chances but they put one away. We had several chances to put one on the scoreboard but couldn’t get it. I thought we did well making decision when we had opportunities.”

Alabama saw the first shot of the game in the seventh minute after Victoria Frederick found her way behind the Carolina backline but missed the frame with a shot wide left. The Gamecocks picked up the intensity afterwards when Kayla Grimsley found Kira Campbell in the box as Campbell faked out the keeper with a dribble move before the ball was cleared by the defense. In the 12th minute, the Gamecocks came close to scoring the first goal of the game when Kim Miller took a free kick that Blakely Mattern headed to Grimsley in the box. Grimsley’s shot was touch-saved by keeper Kara Gudmens over the net to end the threat.

Alabama scored in the 17th minute following a barrage of volleys in the box that led to a corner kick. Kailey Corken took the corner and Rosaly Petriello hit the shot high center and over Mollie Patton’s hands. The goal marked just the third time this season the Gamecocks have allowed a first half goal.

Natalie Aaron gave the Gamecocks two close looks with a header that was saved in the 37th and a booming shot in the 40th that was saved by Gudmens over the net. South Carolina entered the half with a 10-6 shot advantage and registered six corner kicks to Alabama’s two.

The second half began with Carolina continuing a pressing attack as Lindsay Small fired a shot from 20 yards out that was tip saved by Gudmens. Aaron and Small then gave the Gamecocks two looks in the 66th with Smalls’s shot resulting in a called corner kick before the call was overruled by the assistant referee.

The Gamecocks had an opportunity in the 83rd with a free kick in the attacking third but were called offsides as the service entered the box. Small challenged Gudmens in the 86th with a strike from 30 yards out that, but the attempt was saved. The Gamecocks had one final chance when Brooke Jacobs was fouled with 10 seconds remaining, leading to a free kick. The service was cleared to end the threat.

South Carolina held Alabama without a shot in the second half, outshooting the Tide 10-0 in the final 45 minutes of action.

South Carolina travels to Auburn for a 3:30 p.m. Sunday afternoon match against the Tigers. South Carolina defeated Auburn 1-0 last season at Stone Stadium.