Skip to main content
Partner logo
Mobile Icon Link Mobile Icon Link Mobile Icon Link Gamecocks+

Oct. 7, 2009

Final Stats


Coach Berson

COLUMBIA, S.C. – The Gamecock men’s soccer team earned a 3-2 victory over intrastate rival Furman in non-conference action at Stone Stadium on Wednesday evening. Junior striker Sam Arthur tallied two goals, while classmate Blake Brettschneider earned the game winner for Carolina. The win improves South Carolina’s overall record to 6-3-1 on the year, while the Paladins fall to 4-5-2.

South Carolina dominated on the offensive end, posting 17 shots against just seven by Furman. Arthur led the Carolina attack with six shots, while Brettschneider added three and junior defender Evan O’Dell and senior midfielder Jeff Scannella each contributed two in the win. Arthur, sophomore midfielder Danny Cates, junior forward Mike Lindsay and sophomore midfielder Vance Benson each picked up an assist for the Gamecocks. Arthur’s two goals marked the second-straight contest the junior striker has scored two goals for Carolina.

Coleton Henning led the Paladin attack with two shots, both of which resulted in Furman goals. Eric Cobleigh, Danny Hojaij and Jordan Howard each contributed one assist for Furman in the match.

South Carolina goalkeeper Jimmy Maurer collected three saves, all in the second half, while Furman netminder Maros Valko also posted three saves. Both team’s played aggressively throughout the match, as Furman held a 17-14 upperhand in fouls, including three yellow-card cautions.

The Gamecocks dominated offensively in the first half, holding a 10-0 upperhand in shots in the set. Arthur tallied his first goal of the night in the 34th minute on a double-assist from Benson and Cates. Benson collected a ball down the left side and sent a pass across the Paladin defensive third to Cates who sent a perfect cross into the path of Arthur for a volley into the net for the 1-0 South Carolina lead.

The score held through halftime until the 50th minute when Arthur struck again, this time on an assist from Lindsay. Lindsay lifted a cross from the left sideline to Arthur just inside the 18-yard box. Catching Valko off his line, Arthur sent a strike over the goalkeeper’s outstretched hands to push the Gamecock lead to 2-0. Henning answered nearly 10 minutes later for the first Furman strike of the match. Paladin midfielder Jordan Howard and Cobleigh combined for the double-assist, as Henning pushed a header past Maurer to near the score at 2-1.

Brettschneider scored the eventual game winner in the 70th minute. Arthur hit a strike inside the six-yard box, which Valko deflected to the feet of Brettschneider for a strong shot past Valko for the 3-1 South Carolina lead.

Furman continued to battle, scoring its second goal of the match on another header by Henning off a corner kick taken by Hojaij in the 78th minute. Both teams had their offensive chances down the stretch, but the Carolina defense held the Paladins scoreless the remaining 12 minutes to close the 3-2 Gamecock victory.

South Carolina returns to Conference USA play when it hosts Tulsa on Sunday at Stone Stadium. Game time is set for 1 p.m.