Skip to main content
Partner logo
Mobile Icon Link Mobile Icon Link Mobile Icon Link Gamecocks+

Oct. 11, 2009

Final Stats


Coach Berson


COLUMBIA, S.C. – The University of South Carolina men’s soccer team battled Tulsa into double overtime, earning a 1-1 draw in Conference USA play on Sunday at Stone Stadium. Following the contest, South Carolina’s record stands at 6-3-2, including a 1-0-1 mark in league play, while Tulsa holds a 7-3-2 mark, with a 2-0-1 record in conference action. Senior forward Bryan Lowder scored the South Carolina goal in the contest.

After Carolina held an early advantage in shots, Tulsa rallied to hold a 13-12 upperhand in shots in the contest, while the Golden Hurricane also earned six corner kicks to just one for South Carolina.

Junior midfielder Blake Brettschneider led the Carolina attack with four shots, while junior forward Mike Lindsay contributed two. Senior forward Bryan Lowder scored the Gamecock goal, his second of the season, on a penalty kick in the 76th minute.

Forward Jose Parada led the Tulsa offense with five shots, while midfielder Joe Salem added three. Ashley McInnes scored the Golden Hurricane goal on a double-assist from Sidney Stewart and goalkeeper Andy Aguilar with just eight seconds remaining in regulation to push the match into overtime.

In net for Carolina, goalkeeper Jimmy Maurer collected three saves, all in the second half, while Aguilar tallied a game-best seven saves. Tulsa held a 19-11 upperhand in fouls in the match, while both teams collected two yellow-card cautions.

South Carolina’s best threat of the opening half came with just over seven minutes remaining in the set. Defender Stephen Morrissey sent a well-placed cross into the Tulsa six-yard box, where forward Schuyler Reardon connected on a header that Aguilar saved.

Following a South Carolina corner with near two minutes remaining in the half, Tulsa looked to capitalize on a transition play which saw Gamecock defender Tyler Ruthven step in front of a Golden Hurricane striker to halt the threat and send the contest into halftime at 0-0.

With 37 minutes remaining in regulation, Maurer made one of three crucial saves in the second half. Salem connected on a shot near the goal, which Maurer pushed over the crossbar to hold the contest scoreless.

South Carolina marked the scoreboard first, when senior midfielder Jeff Scannella drew a foul inside the Tulsa 18-yard box, resulting in a penalty kick for the Gamecocks. Lowder connected, sending a low line drive past Aguilar to give South Carolina the 1-0 lead in the 76th minute of the match.

Back and forth play followed, but Tulsa continued to battle, scoring with just eight seconds left to push the contest into overtime. Tulsa drew a corner in the 90th minute, which Stewart sailed into the Carolina defensive third. Aguilar redirected the ball to McInnes who evened the match at 1-1.

Carolina out-shot Tulsa 3-1 in the first overtime, and both teams managed two shots in the second sudden-death period, but the hard-fought contest ended in a 1-1 draw.

South Carolina continues its Conference USA homestand when SMU visits Stone Stadium on Wednesday at 7 p.m.