Jan. 24, 2010
ATLANTA – No. 36 South Carolina dropped a 6-1 decision at No. 43 Georgia Tech Sunday afternoon in men’s tennis action at Bill Moore Tennis Center. Sophomore Ivan Machado was the standout for the Gamecocks (1-1) as he won both his doubles and singles matches against the Yellow Jackets.
The Yellow Jackets jumped out to an early 1-0 lead, winning the Nos. 2 and 3 doubles matches. The Gamecocks’ top tandem of Diego Cubas and Machado, ranked No. 27 in the nation, closed doubles play with a victory in the tie-breaker against Guillermo Gomez and Ryan Smith.
In singles play, Georgia Tech wasted little time getting on the board with a Dean O’Brien straight-set win over South Carolina’s Johannes Pulsfort in the No. 3 match. Senior Pedro Campos fought for a win in the No. 2 position, forcing a third set before falling to Eliot Potvin 6-3, 4-6, 6-4. In the No. 1 match, Cubas was similarly battling against the nation’s No. 4 player, Guillermo Gomez. Ranked No. 48 in the nation, Cubas dropped the first set in a tie-breaker then stormed to a 6-2 win in the second set. Gomez claimed the third set 6-4 to give the Yellow Jackets their fourth point of the match, sealing the victory.
Machado continued his efficient singles effort of last week with a 7-5, 6-4 win over junior Miguel Muguruza in the No. 4 singles spot, collecting the lone South Carolina singles win.
The Gamecocks are back in action next week at the ITA Kickoff Weekend in Knoxville, Tenn., facing No. 46 VCU on Sun., Jan. 31, at 9 a.m. They will play either host No. 5 Tennessee or No. 51 Utah on Mon., Feb. 1.
Doubles (Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1)
1. (27) Diego Cubas/Ivan Machado (SC) def. Guillermo Gomez/Ryan Smith (GT) 9-8
2. Eliot Potvin/Dean O’Brien (GT) def. Ivan Cressoni/Pedro Campos (SC) 8-3
3. Miguel Muguruza/Juan Spir (GT) def. Johannes Pulsfort/ Alexander Kostanov (SC) 8-6
Singles (Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1, 4, 5, 6)
1. (4) Guillermo Gomez (GT) def. (48) Diego Cubas (SC) 7-6, 2-6, 6-4
2. Eliot Potvin (GT) def. Pedro Campos (SC) 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
3. Dean O’Brien (GT) def. Johannes Pulsfort (SC) 6-1, 6-3
4. Ivan Machado (SC) def. Miguel Muguruza (GT) 7-5, 6-4
5. Dusan Miljevic (GT) def. Alexander Kostanov (SC) 6-2, 6-4
6. Magin Ortiga (GT) def. Ivan Cressoni (SC) 6-2, 6-1