Feb. 6, 2010
COLUMBIA, S.C. – No. 45 South Carolina posted a 5-2 win over Charlotte Saturday afternoon at USC Field House with senior Ivan Cressoni posting the deciding victory at the No. 4 singles position. The Gamecocks (3-2) controlled the doubles point, sweeping all three matches and took a 5-0 lead before the 49ers pulled out a pair of three-set wins in the final two matches.
Senior Pedro Campos shook off an early service break in his No. 1 doubles match with Ivan Cressoni to help the tandem pick up an 8-4 win over Michael Anders and Krzysztof Kwasniewic. He went on to top Mortiz Bernhoerster 6-3, 6-1 in the No. 1 singles match.
In the No. 2 doubles spot, Johannes Pulsfort and Alexander Kostanov broke serve to open the match and never trailed, cruising to an 8-4 win over Jesse Hutchinson and Chris Huynh to seal the doubles point in favor of the Gamecocks. Chris Sheehan and Harry Menzies combined to complete the doubles sweep with an 8-6 win in the No. 3 spot.
After Campos’ singles win put the Gamecocks up 2-0, Kostanov followed with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Kwasniewic in the No. 3 singles slot. Cressoni then sealed the victory with a 6-4, 6-3 win over Huynh in the No. 4 position.
Taking the court after Campos’ victory, Menzies wasted little time adding another win for South Carolina, dispatching Anthony Davison 6-2, 6-0 in the No. 5 singles slot.
With the match decided, the two matches still on court played a super tiebreaker in the third set. In the No. 2 match, Charlotte’s Charles Martin-Lecamp won the match after closing out the second set in a tiebreaker, then topping Pulsfort in the 10-point tiebreaker 10-4. Playing in the No. 6 spot, Sheehan and Hutchinson split the first two sets in tiebreakers before Hutchinson closed out the win in the super tiebreaker.
South Carolina continues its four-match home stand on Tue., Feb. 9, at 2 p.m. when No. 46 NC State visits the USC Field House.
Doubles (Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3)
1. Pedro Campos/Ivan Cressoni (SC) def. Michael Anders/Krzysztof Kwasniewic (CHA) 8-4
2. Johannes Pulsfort/Alexander Kostanov (SC) def. Jesse Hutchinson/Chris Huynh (CHA) 8-4
3. Chris Sheehan/Harry Menzies (SC) def. Charles Martin-Lecamp/Anthony Davison (CHA) 8-6
Singles (Order of Finish: 1, 3, 4, 5, 2, 6)
1. Pedro Campos (SC) def. Moritz Bernhoerster (CHA) 6-3, 6-1
2. Charles Martin-Lecamp (CHA) def. Johannes Pulsfort (SC) 5-7, 7-6 (4), 1-0 (4)
3. Alexander Kostanov (SC) def. Krzysztof Kwasniewic (CHA) def. 6-2, 6-3
4. Ivan Cressoni (SC) def. Chris Huynh (CHA) 6-4, 6-3
5. Harry Menzies (SC) def. Anthony Davison (CHA) 6-2 6-0
6. Jesse Hutchinson (CHA) def. Chris Sheehan (SC) 7-6, 6-7, 1-0