March 24, 2010
CLEMSON, S.C. – No. 48 South Carolina stormed to a 5-2 win over No. 33 Clemson in men’s tennis action Wednesday afternoon at the Hoke Sloan Tennis Center. It was the Gamecocks’ (8-7) sixth-straight non-conference win of the season as seniors Pedro Campos and Diego Cubas won both their singles and doubles matches for the second time in as many matches.
South Carolina started the match by winning the doubles point as the duo of Campos and Cubas posted an efficient 8-3 win over Derek DiFazio and Wes Moran in the No. 1 position. That victory offset the Tigers’ 8-4 win in the No. 3 match, leaving the point on the racquets of Ivan Cressoni and Ivan Machado of South Carolina and Carlos Alvarez and Juan Bolona of Clemson in the No. 2 spot. Playing together for the first time, Cressoni and Machado sealed the point with an 8-5 win.
The Tigers scored the first point in singles with Kevin Galloway’s win in the No. 3 match, but the Gamecocks won the next three matches to finish to secure the team win. Alexander Kostanov started the run with a decisive 6-2, 6-2 win in the No. 4 spot, and Campos, ranked No. 125 in the nation, extended his singles win streak to 11 with a 6-0, 7-5 win over DiFazio in the No. 2 position. No. 73 Cubas clinched the win with a second-set tiebreaker to score a 6-2, 7-6 win over Alvarez in the No. 1 matchup.
Machado closed out Zachary Rigsby with a second-set tiebreaker as well, winning 6-3, 7-6 in the No. 5 spot. Pulsfort battled into the third set in the No. 6 match, but fell to Bolona to close out the contest.
South Carolina continues its four-match road swing on Sun., March 28, with a 2 p.m. (ET) match at SEC rival No. 43 Mississippi State.
Doubles (Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2)
1. Diego Cubas/Pedro Campos (SC) def. Derek DiFazio/Wes Moran (CU) 8-3
2. Ivan Cressoni/Ivan Machado (SC) def. Carlos AlvarezJuan Bolona (CU) 8-5
3. Zachary Rigsby/Moritz Dettinger (CU) def. Johannes Pulsfort/Alexander Kostanov (SC) 8-4
Singles (Order of Finish: 3, 4, 2, 1, 5, 6)
1. (73) Diego Cubas (SC) def. Carlos Alvarez (CU) 6-2, 7-6
2. (125) Pedro Campos (SC) def. Derek DiFazio (CU) 6-0, 7-5
3. Kevin Galloway (CU) def. Ivan Cressoni (SC) 6-4, 6-4
4. Alexander Kostanov (SC) def. Wes Moran (CU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Ivan Machado (SC) def. Zachary Rigsby (CU) 6-3, 7-6
6. Juan Bolona (CU) def. Johannes Pulsfort (SC) 7-5, 5-7, 6-1