Jan. 30, 2011
COLUMBUS, Ohio – No. 69 South Carolina suffered a 4-0 loss to No. 75 William & Mary Sunday afternoon in the consolation match of the ITA Kickoff Weekend event at the Varsity Tennis Center at The Ohio State University. Alexander Kostanov was on track to collect a point for the Gamecocks, but the match was halted due to the start time of the championship match.
The Tribe pounced right out of the gate in singles as well. In the No. 1 match, Andersson topped Ivan Machado 6-1, 6-2. Harry Menzies put up the strongest fight in the No. 5 match, but saw Ben Hoogland pick up the win in straight sets. Kostanov won his first set 6-3 and was knotted a 3-3 in the second when William & Mary’s Adrian Vodislav sealed the match with a 6-4, 6-0 win over Chris Sheehan in the No. 6 contest.
South Carolina returns home for five of its next six matches, beginning Sat., Feb. 5, with a doubleheader against Charlotte and Appalachian State. The first match starts at 10 a.m., and the ASU match follows at 4 p.m. at the USC Indoor Fieldhouse.
No. 75 William & Mary 4, No. 69 South Carolina 0
Doubles (Order of Finish: 1, 2)
1. Sebastien Vidal/Jamie Whiteford (W&M) def. Chip Cox/Ivan Machado (SC) 8-2
2. Anton Andersson/Ben Guthrie (W&M) def. Johannes Pulsfort/Chris Sheehan 8-6
3. Alexander Kostanov/Harry Menzies (SC) vs. Ilja Orre/Adrian Vodislav (W&M) 4-7 DNF
Singles (Order of Finish: 1, 5, 6)
1. Anton Andersson (W&M) def. Ivan Machado (SC) 6-1, 6-2
2. Alexander Kostanov (SC) vs. Ben Guthrie (W&M) 6-3, 3-3 DNF
3. Chip Cox (SC) vs. Jamie Whiteford (W&M) 6-7, 2-0 DNF
4. Johannes Pulsfort (SC) vs. Sebatien Vidal (W&M) 4-6, 2-2 DNF
5. Ben Hoogland (W&M) def. Harry Menzies (SC) 6-3, 6-2
6. Adrian Vodislav (W&M) def. Chris Sheehan (SC) 6-4, 6-0