Alexa Anthony Named NCEA Rider of the Month for February
March 12, 2014
COLUMBIA, S.C. – University of South Carolina junior Alexa Anthony has been named Rider of the Month by the National Collegiate Equestrian Association, it was announced today. Anthony, one of four national riders of the month, picked up the honor in equitation over fences. This is her first NCEA Rider of the Month award, and it comes two weeks after she was named SEC Rider of the Month in equitation over fences.
Anthony posted a 3-0 jumping record for the Gamecocks last month while posting the highest score in all three of her rides, along with earning MVP honors in each meet.
In South Carolina’s 12-8 win at New Mexico State on Feb. 1, Anthony defeated her Aggie opponent, 87-83, while earning MVP honors. One week later in the Gamecocks’ 10-9 win over Georgia, Anthony again won MVP honors, knocking off her Bulldog opponent, 87-86. She closed out the month at home against Texas A&M, completing her perfect month with an 88-78 win while winning her third straight MVP.
Two weeks ago, Anthony was named SEC Rider of the Month in equitation over fences, her first ever conference rider of the month award. This year, Anthony is 12-6-5 overall with five MVPs. She has not lost a point in her last eight rides, the longest active undefeated streak on the team.
The Gamecocks are off this week for spring break, but Carolina will begin preparations on next week for the 2014 SEC Equestrian Championship, which will be hosted at One Wood Farm in Blythewood. The 2014 SEC Championship is open to the public and admission is free all weekend. The Gamecocks (11-2 overall, 4-2 SEC) will open the championship on Fri., March 28 when No. 1 seed Carolina faces off against No. 4 seed Texas A&M. The winner of that meet will advance to Saturday’s championship competition and will face the winner of the Georgia/Auburn meet. Friday’s action will begin at 10 a.m. ET, while on Saturday, the consolation round will get underway at 9 a.m. ET, followed by the championship meet at 2 p.m. ET.
NCEA Riders of the Month (February 2014)
– Equitation On The Flat: Savannah Jenkins (Baylor)
– Equitation Over Fences: Alexa Anthony (South Carolina)
– Horsemanship: Bryn Lindley (Baylor)
– Reining: Jenna Blumer (Oklahoma State)
South Carolina – All-Time NCEA Riders of the Month
– Alexa Anthony (equitation over fences) – February 2014
– Katherine Schmidt (equitation over fences) – October 2013
– Samantha Smith (equitation on the flat) – October 2013
– Johnna Letchworth (horsemanship) – October 2013
– Katherine Schmidt (equitation over fences) – September 2013
– Johnna Letchworth (horsemanship) – September 2013
– Katherine Schmidt (equitation over fences) – March 2013
– Katherine Schmidt (equitation on the flat) – March 2013
– Amber Henter (equitation over fences) – November 2012
– Kimberly McCormack (hunt seat) – October 2012
– Kimberly McCormack (hunt seat) – March 2012