Jan. 27, 2015
|GAMECOCK MEN’S BASKETBALL|
|Mindaugas Kacinas & Tyrone Johnson|
COLUMBIA, S.C. – South Carolina travels to LSU on Wednesday, beginning a stretch of three out of the next four games on the road for the Gamecocks. The matchup vs. the Tigers will tip at 7 p.m. ET on the SEC Network with Mike Morgan and Dane Bradshaw on the call. The Gamecocks look to snap a two-game losing streak, while LSU has won two straight and four of its last five.
Game Date: Wednesday, Jan. 28, 2015
Game Time: 7 p.m. ET
Arena: Pete Maravich Assembly Center (13,215)
Broadcast: SEC Network/WatchESPN
Talent: Mike Morgan (pxp), Dane Bradshaw (analyst)
Radio: Gamecock Radio Network
Talent: Andy Demetra (pxp), Casey Manning (analyst)
Sirius: N/A; XM: N/A
Series: South Carolina leads 15-14
Last Meeting: 71-68 LSU win on Jan. 11, 2014, in Columbia, S.C.
| Tickets | Game Notes | @GamecockMBB
– The Gamecocks are led by third-year head coach Frank Martin. His associate head coach is Matt Figger, his assistant coaches are Perry Clark and Lamont Evans, and his director of operations is Andy Assaley.
– South Carolina suffered a 58-43 loss to visiting No. 1 Kentucky on Saturday at Colonial Life Arena. In front of its first sellout since the 2011 campaign, the Gamecocks battled, out-rebounding the Wildcats 40-28, including an 18-3 margin on the offensive glass, but a poor shooting performance (12-53, 22.6%) from Carolina, saw UK claim the win. Sophomore guard Sindarius Thornwell led Carolina in scoring for the second straight game with 14 points, and junior forward Michael Carrera pulled down a game high nine rebounds, including five offensive.
– The Gamecocks are 4-7 all-time in games played in Baton Rouge, however South Carolina has won the last two meetings at the Pete Maravich Center. The Gamecocks claimed a 64-56 win in Baton Rouge on Feb. 2, 2011, and Frank Martin would earn his first-ever SEC victory in an 82-73 overtime victory at the Maravich Center on Jan. 16, 2013.
– In last season’s matchup vs. LSU, then-freshman guard Sindarius Thornwell posted 25 points, hitting 9-of-13 from the field. Then-junior Tyrone Johnson also hit double figures with 15 points, in what would be his last SEC contest before suffering a foot injury the following game at Texas A&M. Then-sophomore Jarell Martin led LSU with 18 points and five steals in the Tiger win.
– The Gamecocks are in their 24th season of competition in the Southeastern Conference in 2015. Carolina owns a 139-239 (.367) all-time record in SEC play.
– Frank Martin owns a 60-64 (.483) all-time record in conference games.
– South Carolina battled back from a double-digit deficit in the second half, but a 3 from Justin McKie that would have tied the contest just missed with 16 seconds to go, and makes from the foul line sealed a 66-62 win for Tennessee on Jan. 20 at Colonial Life Arena. Sophomore guard Sindarius Thornwell posted an SEC season high 17 points in the contest, while sophomore forward Demetrius Henry added 12 points, eight rebounds and one block. Tennessee hit a Gamecock opponent high 57.5% (23-40) from the field, including 55.6% (10-18) from 3-point range in the game.
LSU enters Wednesday’s matchup with the Gamecocks with a 15-4 overall record, including a 4-2 mark in SEC games after most recently posting an overtime win on the road at Vanderbilt on Saturday. The Tigers are 9-1 in home games and also 5-1 on the road this season. LSU has played three of its last four on the road, which also included road wins at Ole Miss and Florida. Sophomore forward Jarell Martin leads the team and ranks third in the SEC in overall games with 17.0 points per outing. Sophomore forward Jordan Mickey’s 16.1 points rank fifth in the league, and his team best 10.7 rebounds per game rank second in the SEC and 12th nationally. Mickey has 11 double-doubles this season, including his 25 points and 11 rebounds at Vanderbilt. Mickey also ranks second in the nation and atop the SEC with 3.6 blocked shots per game. Junior point guard Josh Gray provides 4.8 assists per game, which is second in the league. The Tigers are led by head coach Johnny Jones in his third season.
South Carolina owns a 15-14 upperhand in the all-time series with LSU, but the Tigers hold a 7-4 advantage in games played in Baton Rouge. LSU has won six of the last 10 games played between the two schools, including three of the last four. The Gamecocks, however, have won the last two meetings in the Pete Maravich Center.
BY THE #’S
18-23 – Sophomore guard Sindarius Thornwell is averaging 14.7 points per game over the course of the last three games. 18 of those points have come at the free throw line, as he has hit 18-of-23 from the charity stripe during the stretch.
1-2 – South Carolina is 1-2 on the season in true road games. Carolina posted a 77-59 win at Marshall, but suffered a 65-49 loss at Ole Miss and a 71-68 decision at Auburn.
9-2 – South Carolina is 9-2 this season when leading at the half. 23/10 – Then-freshman Michael Carrera was instrumental in Carolina’s win at LSU on Jan. 16, 2013, scoring 23 points and collecting 10 rebounds for his third double-double of the season. Carrera scored 21 of his career-high 23 points in the second half and overtime.
4th – South Carolina ranks fourth in the SEC in average home attendance, as an average of 11,451 fans attend Carolina home games this season.
18 – South Carolina’s 18 offensive rebounds vs. Kentucky marked an SEC season high in the category. It was the most since also collecting 18 offensive boards vs. Coker on Dec. 21.
3rd – South Carolina ranks third in scoring defense in the SEC, as opponents average just 60.8 points per game.
3rd – The Gamecocks rank fourth in the SEC in free throw percent, hitting 73.1 percent at the charity stripe this season.
2nd – South Carolina ranks second in the SEC in rebounding margin with a mark of +6.7 for the year. The Gamecocks are 9-5 this season when they out-rebound their opponent.
South Carolina returns home to Colonial Life Arena to host RV/RV Georgia on Saturday. Game time for that contest is set for 4 p.m. ET on ESPNU. Georgia won both meetings between the two schools last season, including a 73-56 victory in Columbia.