April 22, 2016
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — Kevin Leithold of the South Carolina men’s swimming and diving team and Stevi Parker of the Gamecock soccer team have been nominated for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship by the University of South Carolina.
The H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship has been presented by the Southeastern Conference since 1986 to the league’s top male and female scholar-athletes.
The Southeastern Conference will name the 2016 recipients of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship on April 28.
Highlights of South Carolina’s nominees include:
Kevin Leithold, Men’s Swimming, South Carolina
- CSCAA Scholar All-American (2015)
- SEC Winter Academic Honor Roll (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
- USC AD Honor Roll – Seven Times
- USC Dean’s List – Three Times – USC President’s List (4.0 GPA) – One Time
- All-American in the 800-yard freestyle relay at 2016 NCAA Championships
- All-American in the 800-yard freestyle relay at 2015 NCAA Championships and qualified in three events
- Three top-20 finishes at the 2016 SEC Championships
- Two top-15 finishes at 2015 SEC Championships and qualified in three events
- Won nine events during the 2015-16 regular season
- Won 10 events during 2014-15 regular season
- All-American in the 800-yard freestyle relay at the 2014 NCAA Championships
- Three top-20 finishes at the 2014 SEC Championships
- Holds USC School Record in 100-yard breaststroke, 200-yard medley relay, 400-yard medley relay, 400-yard freestyle relay and 800-yard freestyle relay
- Graduated Cum Laude from the University of South Carolina
Stevi Parker, Women’s Soccer, South Carolina
- Maintained a 4.0 GPA throughout each semester from fall 2012-present
- Named President’s Honor List 7 semesters in a row from fall 2012- present
- Named to the Arnold School of Public Health’s Dean’s List 7 semesters in a row
- SEC Academic Honor Roll three times (2013, 2014, 2015) and SEC First-Year Academic Honor Roll (2012)
- Named to the Athletic Director’s Academic Honor Roll from fall 2012-present.
- Voted MVP by teammates and coaches three times
- Helped lead the team to the program’s first NCAA Elite Eight appearance , leading the team in minutes played in the run to the quarterfinals during the 2014 season
- Named to the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) All-South Region Second Team in 2015
- Voted to the 2014 SEC All-Tournament Team after helping the team make it to the semifinals.
- 4-year starter, playing in all 89 games and starting in 88 with 8 goals and 4 assists for a total of 20 points
- Volunteer coach for the YMCA youth soccer league during the spring of 2014 and 2015
- Tai Chi class instructor at Still Hopes Episcopal Retirement Community during fall 2015
- Participated in other community outreach projects with Harvest Hope, Ronald McDonald House, Meals on Wheels, and homeless shelters sporadically from fall 2012-present
Each year, the SEC, in conjunction with AT&T, an SEC official sponsor, provides the league’s male and female McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship recipients with a $15,000 post-graduate scholarship. The 26 remaining male and female finalists for the award will also receive a $7,500 post-graduate scholarship.
The award recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC institutions and are honored at the SEC Spring Meetings in Sandestin, Fla., in early June.
Last year’s McWhorter Award recipients were Nathanael Franks of the Arkansas track & field team and Maddie Locus of the Georgia swim team.