Gamecocks Net 1-0 Victory Over FAU
Sept. 17, 2016
BOCA RATON, Fla. — South Carolina (3-3-0, 1-0-0 C-USA) pitched a 1-0 shutout over conference foe Florida Atlantic (1-3-1, 0-1-0 C-USA) on the road tonight in the team’s opening game in Conference-USA play.
The Gamecocks were dominant defensively, allowing just six shots and one shot on goal all night by the Owls. The shutout was the team’s first this season.
Carolina had several chances in the first half netting seven shots, but they were unable notch a score.
The goal was Deakin’s second of the season. He’s now tied with senior Kevin Walker for the team lead in points with six. The Sheffield, England, native has two goals and two assists on the year.
Head Coach Mark Berson on opening conference play with win: “I’m pleased with the guys to get the win tonight. Conference wins on the road are important and very tough to get. It was good to get a shutout.”
Deakin’s goal in the 69th minute propelled the Gamecocks to victory.
FAU tallied only six shots and one shot on goal against a South Carolina defense that was locked in from start to finish Saturday night.
- Senior striker Danny Deakin, who is now tied for the team lead in points, scored his 13th career goal as a Gamecock this evening.
- Sophomore Bjorn Gudjonsson tallied his first points of the season with the assist on the Deakin goal.
- Junior goalkeeper William Pyle is now 3-1 in the net on the season. He has collected 15 saves in the last four contests.
- Deakin and freshman Luca Mayr are tied for the team lead in shots with 21.
- Mayr leads the team in shots on goal with 12.
The Gamecocks hit the road again Tuesday night for an instate match with Furman (4-1-1). Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.