A vital part of Columbia-area tennis for over a quarter-century, Maxcy Gregg Tennis Center has served as the outdoor home of the Gamecock women’s tennis team since 1974. The 2010 season marks the 37th and final season for the women at the facility. A new tennis complex for both the men’s and women’s teams is scheduled for completion in November 2010 as part of the athletics department’s master plan for facilities. The Gamecock men’s tennis team will also utilize Maxcy Gregg this season while Sam Daniel Tennis Center is demolished as part of the master plan.
Previously a city-owned, clay court facility, Maxcy Gregg was turned over to Carolina for its sole use. Maxcy Gregg features a team locker room, players’ lounge, athletic training room, office space, ample storage and seating for up to 700 fans. The women’s tennis team also has access to four courts at the USC Field House over the winter months and during inclement weather throughout the fall and spring.
Maxcy Gregg has served as the venue for several major tournaments through the years. The Gamecocks hosted NCAA Regionals in 1996, 1999 and 2002. South Carolina also hosted the 2002 SEC Tournament. In the fall, the Gamecocks have typically hosted the Southern Intercollegiate Championships that on average feature players from over 20 schools in the region.
Directions to Maxcy Gregg Tennis Center
From I-126 to Maxcy Gregg Tennis Center
- Exit off Huger Street
- Follow Huger Street south to Blossom Street
- Take a left onto Blossom Street
- Follow Blossom Street and you will see the courts on your left after you pass the intersection of Blossom and Pickens.
From I-20 to Maxcy Gregg Tennis Center
- Take the Bull Street Exit
- Follow Bull Street southeast to Gervais Street
- Take a left on Gervais Street
- Take a right on Pickens Street
- Take a left on Blossom Street
- The tennis courts will be on your left right after you turn onto Blossom Street.
From I-77 to Maxcy Gregg Tennis Center
- Take Bluff Road exit (exit 5)
- Take Bluff Road all the way into Columbia
- Turn right onto George Rogers Blvd. (it becomes Assembly Street after)
- Turn right onto Blossom Street
- After you go through the light at the intersection of Pickens and Blossom, the tennis courts will be on your left.