Talented transfer Purcell joining Gamecock men's golf
June 26, 2018
COLUMBIA, S.C. — South Carolina men’s golf announced an addition to its program for the 2018-19 season on Monday with the signing of Conor Purcell, a transfer from Charlotte. The Dublin, Ireland, native is fresh off an impressive T-3rd performance at the 123rd Amatuer Championship in Scotland, one of the top amateur events in the world.
Purcell ended stroke play T-40th, carding a 5-over 36-hole score after 18-hole rounds at Royal Aberdeen and Murcar Links to advance to the match play portion of the event. After two tight matches, Purcell rolled into the quarterfinals with a 3&2 win. He won 3&2 again to punch his ticket to the semifinals where his run ended with a 3&2 loss to fellow Irishman Robin Dawson.
“We are very excited to have a player of Conor’s ability and experience joining our program,” head coach Bill McDonald said. “I’ve been fortunate to witness his competitive spirit, and I think he’ll be a tremendous asset to our team. Conor has really impressed me with his goal setting and his commitment to excellence, both academically and athletically. He’s sure to be a great influence and team leader for our younger guys as well. We look forward to his arrival and welcome him to the Gamecock golf program.”
Purcell enjoyed an abundance of success at Charlotte the past two seasons, leading the team in virtually every statistical category and earning First Team All-Conference USA honors this past season. He’ll be immediately eligible for the Gamecocks when they open the 2018-19 campaign in the fall. Purcell joins a loaded incoming recruiting class that featured three top-50 players in No. 19 Ryan Hall (Knoxville, Tenn.), No. 38 Teddy Tetak (Limbach, Slovakia) and No. 43 Harry Corbin (Inman, S.C.).
Conor Purcell (Dublin, Ireland/Charlotte)
- Son of Joey and Mary and has four siblings — Gary, Joey, Serena and Louise.
- Played two seasons at Charlotte (2016-18), posting a career scoring average of 72.38 (second all-time) with 31 rounds of par or better, two top-five finishes and six top-10s.
- Earned C-USA Golfer of the Week honors on three occasions (twice as sophomore, once as freshman).
- Saw action in every event as a sophomore in 2017-18, posting the fifth-best single-season scoring average in program history (71.91) en route to being named First Team All-C-USA.
- He shot par or better 17 times with four top-10s and a fifth-place finish at the Janney Shootout (Sept. 18-19).
- Also participated in the 2018 NCAA Raleigh Regional (May 14-16) as an individual, shooting a 4-under 67 in the second round.
- Played in all 11 events as a freshman in 2016-17, posting a 72.88 scoring average, tying for the team lead with 14 rounds of par or better.
- Earned runner-up medalist honors at the Jerry Pate National after posting a career-low 65 in the opening round.
- Attended Malahide Community School prior to crossing the pond and joining the 49ers. .
- Won three times in 2016, including a victory at the South of Ireland Amateur Championship.
- Won the Boys Interprovincials in 2015 and earned runner-up medalist honors at the Sir Henry Cooper Junior Masters.
- Named a member of the Irish Men’s National Team in 2016 after two years with the Irish Boys Team.