Young Gamecock Roster Set for Carolina Regional Test
South Carolina men’s tennis will travel to Cary, N.C., for the ITA Carolina Regional Championships this weekend.
COLUMBIA, S.C.— South Carolina men’s tennis will travel north to Cary, N.C., for the ITA Carolina Regionals which will be hosted by Duke University at the Cary Tennis Park from Friday, Oct. 12 through Tues., Oct. 16.
Eight Gamecocks will compete in both singles and doubles at this season’s regionals which will kick off with singles round of 64 on Friday morning at 9:30 a.m.
No. 27 Paul Jubb (2-1) enters the field after notching a pair of ranked wins at the ITA All-American Championships last week in Tulsa, Okla. Jubb took down the seventh-ranked singles player in the country in Vanderbilt’s Cameron Klinger and will play through this weekend’s draw as the tournament’s top overall seed.
Jubb advanced to the round of 16 in last season’s Carolina Regionals finishing with a 3-1 record that included his first ranked win of the season over No. 44 Spencer Furman of Duke.
Yancy Dennis also won his first three matches before falling in last year’s round of 16. Dennis, 7-3 all–time at the Carolina Regional Championships, also advanced to the round of 16 as a sophomore in 2016 where he fell 7-4 in a third set-tiebreak.
– Dennis enters the weekend as the No. 11 seed with a 4-3 singles record so far this fall.
– Dennis and Jubb are the No. 49 doubles team in the country and got off to a 1-1 start playing together at the ITA All-American Championships.
– Beau Pelletier has had a strong start to fall season with a 5-2 singles record and a 4-1 doubles record.
– Daniel Rodrigues (4-1) enters the Carolina Regionals on a three-match win streak as the No. 16 seed.
– Patrick Cacciatore (5-0) will look to ride his hot start to the year after winning the Gamecock Invitational B-Draw last month.
– Pelletier is 3-0 in doubles playing with teammate Jake Beasley. Beasley is 5-1 overall in doubles play while Pelletier is 4-1.
Gamecock First Round Singles Matches (Friday, Oct. 12):
– No. 27 Paul Jubb (1) vs. Ben Webster (App State)- 9:30 a.m.
– Yancy Dennis (11) vs. Nicolas Arduh (NCATS)- 9:30 a.m.
– Beau Pelletier vs. No. 74 Yuval Solomon (6)- 9:30 a.m.
– Raphael Lambling vs. No. 87 Nick Stachowiak (4)- 9:30 a.m.
– Patrick Cacciatore vs. Thanos Spyropoulos (NCCU)- 11 a.m.
– Joseph Brailovsky vs. Robert Maciag (Duke)- 12 p.m.
– Daniel Rodrigues (16) vs. Alex Pavkovich (App State)- 12:30 p.m.
– Jake Beasley vs. Hayden Faulkenbury (NCATS)- 1 p.m.
– Friday, Oct. 12 l 9:30 a.m.– Singles Opening Round, Singles Round of 64
– Saturday, Oct. 13 l 8:30 a.m.– Singles Round of 32, Singles Consolation Round of 64, Doubles Round of 64, Doubles Round of 32
– Sunday, Oct. 14 l 9 a.m.– Singles Round of 16, Singles Quarterfinals, Singles Consolation Round of 32, Doubles Round of 16
– Monday, Oct. 15 l 10 a.m.– Singles Semifinals, Doubles Quarterfinals, Doubles Semifinals
– Tuesday, Oct. 16 l 9 a.m.– Singles Finals, Doubles Finals
For men’s tennis updates, continue to check back with GamecocksOnline.com or follow the team on social media (@GamecockMTennis).