Jubb Into ITA Regional Semifinal; Pair of Gamecock Doubles Teams Stay Alive
South Carolina will have two doubles teams in Monday's quarterfinal and No. 27 Paul Jubb will play Josh Peck of UNC on Monday morning for a sport in the Carolina Regional Singles Championship.
CARY, N.C.- Paul Jubb, the No. 27 singles player in the country, will face off against North Carolina’s Josh Peck on Monday in the semifinal round of the ITA Carolina Regional Singles Championship. South Carolina men’s tennis had two doubles teams advance to the quarterfinal round of the ITA Regional Championships as Jubb and Dennis, the No. 49 duo in the country, and Gamecock freshman Daniel Rodrigues and Raphael Lambling captured round of 16 wins on Sunday at the Cary Tennis Center.
Jubb took down twelfth-seeded Mac Kiger (UNC) and fifteenth-seed Rrezart Congu (Wake) on Sunday to secure his semifinal spot and has dropped just one set through his first five matches at the Carolina Regionals.
Lambling and Rodrigues captured a second-consecutive win in straight sets with a 6-2, 7-5 win to move into Monday’s quarterfinal round while Jubb and Dennis won a third-set match over Spencer Furman and Sean Sculley (Duke) 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (6) to remain alive in the doubles main draw.
Matches will resume at Cary Tennis Center on Monday at 10 a.m.
Gamecock Singles Matches:
Main Draw Round of 16
– No. 27 Paul Jubb (1) def. Mac Kiger (12) (UNC) 6-2, 5-7, 6-3
– Yancy Dennis (11) def. Agustin Savarino (UNCW) 5-7, 7-5, 6-4
– Luca Keist (UNCC) def. Joseph Brailovsky def. (13) 7-6 (4), 6-4
– Bar Botzer (2) (Wake) def. Daniel Rodrigues 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
Main Draw Quarterfinal
– No. 27 Paul Jubb (1) def. Rrezart Cungu (15) (Wake) 6-3, 6-2
– Josh Peck (UNC) def. Yancy Dennis (11) 6-1, 6-1
Main Draw Semifinal (Monday, Oct. 15)
– No. 27 Paul Jubb (1) vs. Josh Peck (UNC) 10 a.m.
Gamecock Doubles Matches:
Main Draw Round of 16
– No. 49 Yancy Dennis / Paul Jubb (1) def. Spencer Furman/ Sean Sculley (11) (Duke) 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (6)
– Constandino Christoforou/ Luca Keist (12) (UNCC) def. Beau Pelletier / Patrick Cacciatore 6-1, 6-1
– Raphael Lambling / Daniel Rodrigues (8) def. Daniel Groom/ Michael Morphy (UNCW) 6-2, 7-5
Main Draw Quarterfinal (Monday, Oct. 15)
– No. 49 Yancy Dennis / Paul Jubb (1) vs Mac Kiger /Josh Peck (UNC) 12 p.m.
– Raphael Lambling / Daniel Rodrigues (8) vs Igor Saveljic-Ivan Saveljic (2) (NCSU) 10 a.m.