Gamecocks Host Clemson, Georgia Tech
Columbia, S.C. – No. 13 South Carolina men’s tennis will continue its non-conference schedule at home with matches against Clemson and Georgia Tech. The Gamecocks will host rival Clemson on Fri., Feb. 4, at 5 p.m. and Georgia Tech on Sun. Feb. 6 at noon.
Both matches will be played at Carolina Indoor Tennis Center. Admission is free and open to the public. Masks are required for all spectators in accordance with University policy. Live scoring will be provided on GamecocksOnline.com
- The Gamecocks have won six straight matches to start the 2022 season. Their two wins during ITA Kickoff Weekend qualified them for the ITA Indoor National Championships in Seattle, Wash., Feb. 18-21.
- Doubles pair Connor Thomson and Daniel Rodrigues has taken down three ranked opponents so far this season – No. 9, No. 37, and No. 45.
- Doubles pair Jake Beasley and Toby Samuel earned its first ranked win of the season during ITA Kickoff Weekend, taking down No. 39 Andrew Zhang and Michael Heller of Duke.
- Thomson and No. 29 Rodrigues both earned their first ranked singles wins of the spring season during ITA Kickoff Weekend. Thomson took down No. 38 Faris Khan (Duke), and Rodrigues took down No. 76 Garrett Johns (Duke).
- No. 50 Samuel secured the match-clinching singles win to lead the Gamecocks over Duke. The sophomore now has a 15-4 singles record extending through the fall season and a seven-match win streak.
Scouting the Field
- The Tigers are 4-1 on the season with wins over Furman, Wofford, ETSU, and William & Mary. They suffered their only loss of the season to Miami.
- South Carolina has a six-match win streak over Clemson and has won 11 of the last 13 matchups.
- The Tigers are led by sophomore Ryuhei Azumawho is 4-1 on the season.
- The Yellow Jackets are 3-1 on the season with wins over Georgia State, The Citadel and Middle Tennessee State. Their only loss came against No. 6 Virginia.
- The Gamecocks are 33-13-1 all-time against Tech and have won five of the last seven meetings.
- Georgia Tech is led by the nation’s No. 9 player, Andres Martin. They are also home to the nation’s No. 3 doubles pair in Martin and Marcus McDaniel.
For all the latest South Carolina men’s tennis information, continue to follow GamecocksOnline.com or the team on social media (@GamecockMTennis).