Gamecocks Face First Road Challenge
Chapel Hill, N.C. – No. 13 South Carolina men’s tennis will travel to Chapel Hill, N.C., to face the No. 23 UNC Tar Heels. First serve will be at 1 p.m. at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center. The match will be streamed via PlaySight and live scoring will be provided via StatBroadcast.
The Gamecocks are in search of their first win over the Tar Heels since 2003.
- The Gamecocks have won nine straight matches at home to start the 2022 season. Their two wins during ITA Kickoff Weekend qualified them for the ITA Indoor National Championships in Seattle, Wash., Feb. 18-21.
- South Carolina faced its first ranked opponent in No. 6 Wake Forest on Thursday. The Gamecocks completed the upset 5-2, including three ranked singles wins and a ranked doubles win.
- Doubles pair Raphael Lambling and James Story earned its first ranked win of the season. The Gamecock duo took down Wake Forest’s No. 37 pair of Robert Maciag and Ben Draper 7-6(2).
- Junior Daniel Rodrigues remains undefeated at the No. 1 position this season, including ranked wins over Nos. 9, 76, 99, and 109.
Scouting the Opponents
- The Tar Heels are 4-1 on the season with their only loss coming against No. 5 Ohio State in the Championship match of ITA Kickoff Weekend. The Tar Heels were held scoreless in the Buckeyes 4-0 win.
- North Carolina is home to the nation’s No. 87 player Brian Cernoch.
- Cernoch and doubles partner Mac Kiger were named the ACC Doubles Team of the week for week three of the season following their win over the nation’s No. 2 doubles pair of Justin Boulais and James Trotter of Ohio State.
- The Gamecocks are 17-46-1 in the series with the Tar Heels winning the last nine matchups.
- The most recent match between the two teams was close with the then-No. 1 ranked Tar Heels barely pulling out the 4-3 win at Carolina Tennis Centeer. The Gamecocks came out strong, winning the doubles point but were bested in singles, winning only two of the six matches.
- South Carolina won the first match of the series 2-1 on April 19, 1912.
- North Carolina holds the longest win streak of the series with 15 wins between 1932-1966.
For all the latest South Carolina men’s tennis information, continue to follow GamecocksOnline.com or the team on social media (@GamecockMTennis).