Beach Volleyball Heads to Palmetto Coast fo Weekend Tournament
The Gamecocks play at Coastal Carolina April 8-9
CONWAY, S.C. – South Carolina beach volleyball faces four regional foes when it travels to the South Carolina coast for the Coastal Carolina Challenge, hosted by the Chanticleers April 8-9. The Gamecocks have rematches against Mercer, College of Charleston and UNCW along with its matchup against host Coastal Carolina. The team plays at 8 a.m. and noon on Friday and 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. on Saturday.
SCOUTING THE WEEKEND FIELD
This will be the third matchup with Mercer this spring, facing the Bears in the opening weekend at Stetson as well as the first home tournament on March 12. The Bears are coming off a bye week after going 2-2 at home on March 26-27.
- South Carolina leads, 7-1 (Since 2014)
- Gamecocks won, 5-0 (March 12, 2022)
- The Bears took the first win of the series but have taken just three points total off Carolina over the next seven duals.
Coastal Carolina is 15-8 overall but lost all four duals in its last tournament, on the road at Stetson, failing to pick up a point in losses to four ranked opponents. The Chanticleers have been powered by the pairing of Ellie Hanford and Natalie Honzovicova, who are currently 15-1 together on court three. Martine Kragholm is the team’s mainstay on court one, with a 13-10 overall record in the top spot splitting time with two partners.
- South Carolina leads, 8-0 (Since 2016)
- Gamecocks won, 5-0 (March 14, 2021)
- The Gamecocks are 2-0 playing at Coastal Carolina, winning both road duals by a 5-0 score.
College of Charleston is riding a seven-game win streak after blowing through the competition at home March 25-27. The Cougars already have a handful of 15-game winners, headlined by Emma Falk/Maria Zweig (15-1 on court three) and Gabi Bailey/Kyra Thompson (16-2 on court four).
- South Carolina leads, 11-1 (Since 2014)
- Gamecocks won, 5-0 (March 19, 2022)
- UAB’s lone win in the series came on Wheeler Beach in 2018; South Carolina is on a four-game win streak in the series that have all been 5-0 sweeps.
The Seahawks went 1-3 last weekend on Wheeler Beach, but still carry a strong 17-7 overall record. Four pairs already have 10 or more wins so far this spring, headlined by Mattie Johnson/Sadie Sharkey’s 10-8 record together on court one.
- South Carolina leads, 10-0 (Since 2016)
- Gamecocks won, 4-1 (April 2, 2022)
- UNCW has taken a point off the Gamecocks in three of the last four meetings.
For continued updates on the team, follow @GamecockBeachVB on Twitter and Instagram.