Beach Volleyball Wins Pair of Friday Matchups
The Gamecocks are winners of eight straight games
COLUMBIA, S.C. – South Carolina beach volleyball moved its win streak to eight games with two wins Friday at home, defeating College of Charleston 5-0 and Coastal Carolina 4-1. The Gamecocks, now 19-8 for the season, are one win shy of matching the program record for longest win streak, last achieved in 2018.
In the morning dual, the Gamecocks were sharp against the Cougars. A week removed from a 5-0 decision that included two wins in three sets, South Carolina left no doubt with sweeps on all five courts. Kaeli Crews and Hannah Mackenhausen clinched the team victory at 3-0 with a 21-12, 21-14 sweep on court three and Whitley Ballard and Skylar Allen reunited again on court one after missing most of last weekend’s action and came away with a 24-22, 21-17 sweep to close the dual.
The evening matchup was another rematch from last weekend, bringing in Coastal Carolina. The teams split the opening wave of matches, Alyssa Keller and Abby Carroll dominated on court four with a 21-13, 21-9 sweep but the Chanticleers countered with a sweep on court five. The Gamecocks moved quick to regain momentum, sweeping all three matches in the second wave to defeat Coastal. Crews and Mackenhausen again won the clinching point on court three, this time with a 21-16, 21-19 victory.
For continued updates on the team, follow @GamecockBeachVB on Twitter and Instagram.
- The team honored six graduating Gamecocks prior to the Coastal Carolina dual: Whitley Ballard, Ashley Brasfield, Abby Carroll, Nicole Deobler, Jordan Smith and Courtney Weber.
- Deobler and Weber teamed together for a 21-12, 21-16 sweep in the exhibition match against Coastal Carolina.
- Lauren Wilcock became the first Gamecock individual to reach 20 wins this season. The freshman swept her match on court two with teammate Jordan Smith, the duo’s 15th win together this spring.
- The Gamecocks swept Charleston for the third time this season, increasing their advantage in the all-time series to 15-2.
- Skylar Allen and Whitley Ballard returned to the top of the lineup after being pulled with injuries last weekend at Coastal Carolina. Allen missed two games on Saturday, Ballard missed three total last weekend.
- Following her win with Allen against Charleston, Ballard became just the eighth woman in program history to win 10 or more matches on court one in a career.
- With her win on court two over Coastal Carolina, Jordan Smith earned her 50th career win. She hit the milestone in just 64 career matches, making her the fastest Gamecock in program history to reach 50 wins. She passes the previous best, 68 matches, set by Macie Tendrich.
Two ranked opponents are up next for South Carolina. Saturday pits the Gamecocks against No. 20 FGCU at 11 a.m. before the weekend finale versus No. 14 Georgia State at 3 p.m.
No. 18 South Carolina 5, College of Charleston 0
1. Skylar Allen/Whitley Ballard (SC) def. Ella Reames/Sky Benjamin (COFC) 24-22, 21-17
2. Jordan Smith/Lauren Wilcock (SC) def. Amani Dunston/Sofie Vogel (COFC) 21-19, 21-15
3. Kaeli Crews/Hannah Mackenhausen (SC) def. Emma Falk/Kyra Thompson (COFC) 21-12, 21-14
4. Abby Carroll/Alyssa Keller (SC) def. Gabi Bailey/Rebecca Olariu (COFC) 21-17, 21-18
5. Jillian Gleason/Hailey Cabeceiras (SC) def. Jasmin Goei/Mikaela Dougherty (COFC) 21-13, 21-13
Ext. Sophie Manson/Kennedy Westendorff (SC) def. Tynley Smeltzer/Marie Martinsen (COFC) 21-13, 21-17
Order of finish: 5,4,3*,2,1
No. 18 South Carolina 4, Coastal Carolina 1
1. Skylar Allen/Whitley Ballard (SC) def. Kragholm, Martine/Riedell, Sarah (CCU) 21-18, 21-18
2. Jordan Smith/Lauren Wilcock (SC) def. Hanford, Ellie/Drobnjak, Irena (CCU) 21-18, 21-18
3. Hannah Mackenhausen/Kaeli Crews (SC) def. Honzovicova, Natalie/Lichty, Madie (CCU) 21-16, 21-19
4. Abby Carroll/Alyssa Keller (SC) def. Eske, Kalin/Allred, Madison (CCU) 21-13, 21-9
5. Ginther, Carli/Ehlers, Raychel (CCU) def. Hailey Cabeceiras/Jillian Gleason (SC) 21-19, 21-12
Ex. Nicole Deobler/Courtney Weber (SC) def. Sanchez, Elena/Eske, Alyssa (CCU) 21-12, 21-16
Order of finish: 4,5,2,3*,1