Gamecocks Pack Three Duals into Weekend-Opening Day
BATON ROUGE, LA. – South Carolina beach volleyball picked up a pair of wins on a long first day of competition at the Tiger Beach Challenge at LSU. The Gamecocks (3-4) picked up 4-1 wins over UAB (3-4) and North Alabama (3-4) before falling to the host Tigers (7-0) in the nightcap, 4-1.
The team moved quick to secure the overall win over UAB in the morning, with sweeps on courts five, two and three, with Allison Coens and Hannah Mackenhausen’s 21-17, 21-16 win on three making it a 3-0 lead. The final two courts of the match went to a third set, Jolie Cranford and Sammy Ansel came back from a first set loss to win 21-19 and 15-11 for the team’s fourth and final point, coming on court four.
Matchup number two against North Alabama would end with another 4-1 margin. Chase Teal and Jillian Gleason held their opponents to under 15 points in both sets of a sweep on court four to start the day, followed close behind by Cranford and Peyton Gray sweeping the fives and Skylar Allen and Simone Priebe dominating their second set in a 21-19, 21-10 win on court one. Coens and Mackenhausen closed out the team’s scoring with a 21-16, 21-17 win on court three.
In the day’s final dual, Carolina matched up with the host Tigers and four brand new pairings after an injury in the North Alabama dual required a lineup shake-up. Former Tiger and New Orleans native Hailey Cabeceiras stepped into the lineup for her season debut in the fifth pair. LSU pushed ahead and clinched the team win on court one, going up 3-0 with the sweep. The Gamecocks mustered their lone point of the nightcap with a win from Kaeli Crews and Hannah Mackenhausen on court two. After combining for 19 wins last spring, the duo is now just the 11th pair in program history to reach 20 career wins together.
For continued updates on the team, follow @GamecockBeachVB on Twitter and Instagram.
The team wraps up the weekend in Baton Rouge with two more duals Central Arkansas and Southeastern Louisiana on Sunday. First serve against the Bears is set for 10 AM ET, with the finale against the Lions at 2 PM ET.
No. 19 South Carolina 4, UAB 1
- Haas, Jasmine/Pertuit, Brooke (UAB) def. Skylar Allen/Simone Priebe (SC) 18-21, 21-19, 15-13
- Kaeli Crews/Kennedy Westendorff (SC) def. Pereira, Adriana/Law-Heese, Mikayla (UAB) 21-16, 21-18
- Allison Coens/Hannah Mackenhausen (SC) def. Copping, Arden/Andraka, Emma (UAB) 21-17, 21-16
- Jolie Cranford/Sammy Ansel (SC) def. Ennis, Jessica/Alexander, Ella (UAB) 18-21, 21-19, 15-11
- Jillian Gleason/Chase Teal (SC) def. Stant, Olivia/Wofford, Dominique (UAB) 21-12, 21-13
Ex. Riley Whitesides/Peyton Gray (SC) def. Chychrun, Olivia/O’Donnell, Ali (UAB) 21-15, 21-17
Order of Finish: 5,2,3*,1,4
No. 19 South Carolina 4, North Alabama 1
- Skylar Allen/Simone Priebe (SC) def. Paula Klemperer/Taylor Seney (UNA) 21-19, 21-10
- Mackenzie Martin/Katy Floyd (UNA) def. Kaeli Crews/Kennedy Westendorff (SC) 21-16, 21-19
- Allison Coens/Hannah Mackenhausen (SC) def. Selma Robinson/Martha McLaurin (UNA) 21-16, 21-17
- Jillian Gleason/Chase Teal (SC) def. Nati Kordt/Jelena Girod (UNA) 21-14, 21-13
- Jolie Cranford/Peyton Gray (SC) def. Katie Gerig/Sarah Larkin Lewis (UNA) 21-8, 21-16
Ex. Riley Whitesides/Sammy Ansel (SC) def. Abby Robertson/Kati Anderson (UNA) 21-14, 21-12
Order of Finish: 4,5,1*,3,2
No. 5 LSU 4, No. 19 South Carolina 1
- Kylie DeBerg/Ellie Shank (LSU) def. Skylar Allen/Simone Priebe (SC) 21-9, 21-9
- Kaeli Crews/Hannah Mackenhausen (SC) def. Grace Seits/Parker Bracken (LSU) 21-14, 22-20
- Hannah Brister/Reilly Allred (LSU) def. Allison Coens/Chase Teal (SC) 21-19, 21-12
- Lara Boos/Ella Larkin (LSU) def. Jillian Gleason/Peyton Gray (SC) 21-15, 21-15
- Amber Haynes/Cassidy Chambers (LSU) def. Jolie Cranford/Hailey Cabeceiras (SC) 21-9, 21-17
Ex. Sadie Nelson/Sammy Ansel (SC) def. Liz Masters/Paige Flickinger (LSU) 20-22, 21-19, 17-15
Ex. Hailey Cabeceiras/Sadie Nelson def. Kelly McCloskey/Aubrey O’Gorman (LSU), 21-11, 21-17
Order of Finish: 4,5,1*,3,2