Gamecocks Fall to Ole Miss in SEC Tournament
South Carolina Athletics
Standout freshman Gregory "GG" Jackson II scored 24 points, his 11th 20-point outing of the season
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Freshman backup Amaree Abram scored 20 points on 7-for-11 shooting, Jaemyn Brakefield scored 16 points and Mississippi beat South Carolina 67-61 on Wednesday night in an opening round game of the SEC Tournament.
James White added 10 points and gathered 10 rebounds for Ole Miss which had a 41-31 rebounding advantage. The Rebels made 25 of 59-shot attempts (42.4%) including 9 of 22 (40.9%) from 3-point range.
Greg Jackson II scored 24 points for the Gamecocks, Meechie Johnson scored 13 and Hayden Brown 11.
As the 13th seed, Ole Miss (12-20) advances to face No. 5-seed and 17th-ranked Tennessee on Thursday. South Carolina (11-21) ended its season having lost seven of its last 10.
Jackson’s layup with 10:27 left gave South Carolina its lone lead of the second half at 46-44 before Amaree made a 3-pointer 27 seconds later and Ole Miss stayed ahead for the remainder.
Abram made consecutive 3s and followed with a jump shot and the Rebels extended their lead to 61-52 with 4:17 left before a 9-3 outburst by South Carolina reduced its deficit to 64-61 with 1:03 to go.
Following a South Carolina timeout, the Rebels’ Matthew Murrell missed a 3 attempt but White grabbed the offensive rebound and Ole Miss called a timeout with 18 seconds left. White then hit a jump shot for a 66-61 advantage with 11 seconds remaining to seal it.
Ole Miss moved its overall record to 25-22 against South Carolina.
- Ole Miss shot 55.6 percent from behind the arc in the second half making five of the nine 3s they attempted. The Rebels also received 22 points off their bench, a plus 19 advantage against Carolina (22-3).
- Amaree Abram, who came into the game averaging just 7.7 points per game (6.7 ppg in SEC play), scored 20 to lead Ole Miss.
- Gregory “GG” Jackson II led all scorers with a game-high 24 points on 50.0 percent shooting (10-for-20). He tied his career-high with 10 made field goals and notched his 25th game scoring in double figures, and his 17th game leading the team in scoring. He also collected five rebounds for Carolina in 33 minutes of action.
- Meechie Johnson (13) and Hayden Brown (11) also scored in double figures for Carolina. Johnson led the Gamecocks with five assists, the 19th time he has done so this season. Brown shot 62.5 percent from the floor and added two rebounds, and three assists.
- Josh Gray led the team with six rebounds, the 15th time this season he has led the team in rebounding.
- The Gamecocks had a plus six advantage in the paint outscoring Ole Miss 34-28, in the trenches.
- Carolina as a team shot 83.3 percent from the free throw line.