Men’s Tennis Sweeps SEC Home Opener
Columbia, S.C. – No. 5 South Carolina men’s tennis swept No. 66 Alabama 7-0 on Friday in their SEC home opener. The Gamecocks claimed the doubles point and wins on all six singles courts to blank the Crimson Tide.
In doubles, Raphael Lambling and Casey Hoole were the first to complete their match, finding a late break to take it 6-4. The doubles point was clinched by No. 22 Jake Beasley and James Story from the second spot in the lineup. The No. 2 match was full of drama with several breaks being exchanged on both sides, but the Gamecocks came out victorious, taking the match 6-3.
In singles, the Gamecocks were relentless, taking first sets on all six courts. It was No. 6 Toby Samuel who was the first to record a win. Samuel made quick work of No. 63 Enzo Aguiard, defeating him 6-2, 6-1.
Story was the next Gamecock to put up a point, taking down his opponent 6-4, 6-3. The match was clinched on the No. 6 court by Beasley who earned his win with a 6-3, 6-4 result.
No. 5 Connor Thomson was finally able to get back on track and record a win after having dropped his most recent singles match. The junior came out on the right side of a tiebreak in the first set and earned a late break in the second set to take his match 7-6(3), 6-4.
The final two matches were in third sets where No. 83 Hoole and No. 84 Lambling both splitting sets with their opponents. Hoole took his first set 6-4, but gave up his second 5-7. His final set was played as a 10-point tiebreaker that the sophomore dominated, winning it 10-3.
The sweep was completed by Lambling who battled three full sets for his win, taking the match 6-1, 2-6, 6-3.
South Carolina men’s tennis will continue SEC action on the road next, visiting LSU and Mississippi State next weekend. The Gamecocks will take on the Tigers on March 17 at 6:00 p.m. and will face the Bulldogs on March 19 at 2:00 p.m.
For all the latest South Carolina men’s tennis information, continue to follow GamecocksOnline.com or the team on social media (@GamecockMTennis).
(5) South Carolina 7, (66) Alabama 0
Doubles (order of finish: 3, 2)
- #1 Toby Samuel/Connor Thomson (SC) vs. Enzo Aguiard/Filip Planinsek (UA) 5-5, unfinished
- #22 Jake Beasley/James Story (SC) def. German Samofalov/Yair Sarouk (UA) 6-3
- Raphael Lambling/Casey Hoole (SC) def. Joao Ferreira/Matias Ponce De Leon (UA) 6-4
Singles (order of finish: 1, 4, 6, 2, 5, 3)
- #6 Toby Samuel (SC) def. #63 Enzo Aguiard (UA) 6-2, 6-1
- #5 Connor Thomson (SC) def. Filip Planinsek (UA) 7-6 (7-3), 6-4
- #84 Raphael Lambling (SC) def. Matias Ponce De Leon (UA) 6-1, 2-6, 6-3
- James Story (SC) def. German Samofalov (UA) 6-4, 6-3
- #83 Casey Hoole (SC) def. Roan Jones (UA) 6-4, 5-7, 1-0 (10-3)
- Jake Beasley (SC) def. Yair Sarouk (UA) 6-3, 6-4