Gamecocks Sweep Mercer to End Weekend in Gulf Shores
GULF SHORES, Ala. – South Carolina’s beach volleyball team wrapped up its weekend in Gulf Shores with a 5-0 victory against Mercer (0-14) on Sunday morning. The Gamecocks finish the three-day event with three wins and improve to 11-7 for the season.
The Gamecocks jumped out to a 2-0 lead after the first wave, with Jolie Cranford and Kennedy Westendorff finishing first with a 21-10, 21-16 sweep on court four. Sammy Ansel and Sadie Nelson followed suit, holding off the Bears in set two for a 21-16, 34-32 win.
In the second wave of matches, Skylar Allen and Simone Priebe clinched the dual with a 21-5, 21-18 win in the top pairing and Allison Coens and Lauren Wilcock made it 4-0 with the 21-17, 21-10 sweep. Mercer forced a third set on court two, but Kaeli Crews and Hannah Mackenhausen rallied for a 15-9 win in the third set to complete the team sweep.
For continued updates on the team, follow @GamecockBeachVB on Twitter and Instagram.
The Gamecocks return home for a big weekend on and off the sand. The Gamecock Grand Slam tournament runs Saturday to Sunday, March 25-26, down on Wheeler Beach. South Carolina faces Houston Christian and Arizona State at 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., respectively, on Saturday and Tampa and No. 10 Georgia State on Sunday at 10 and 4 again.
The program will also celebrate its first Alumnae Weekend, welcoming back over 30 former student-athletes as well as former coaches and support staff members.
No. 20 South Carolina 5, Mercer 0
- Skylar Allen/Simone Priebe (SC) def. Lexi Polychrones/Jordan Paddock (MER) 21-5, 21-18
- Kaeli Crews/Hannah Mackenhausen (SC) def. Nicole O’Mara/Kate Hardie (MER) 21-18, 19-21, 15-9
- Allison Coens/Lauren Wilcock (SC) def. Sydney Benson/Jordan Thomas-Warren (MER) 21-17, 21-10
- Jolie Cranford/Kennedy Westendorff (SC) def. Hollis Engel/Skylar Kelly (MER) 21-10, 21-16
- Sadie Nelson/Sammy Ansel (SC) def. Kathryn Corbett/Reese Hood (MER) 21-16, 34-32
Order of finish: 4,5,1*,3,2