Beach Volleyball Takes Home Two Wins Saturday
COLUMBIA, S.C. – Gamecock beach volleyball claimed two victories on Saturday, opening its two-day Grand Slam tournament at home with a 5-0 win over Houston Christian (11-8) and a 4-1 win over Arizona State (5-7).
In the morning against the Huskies, Carolina (13-7) dodged some weather concerns and were able to take care of all five courts. Kennedy Westendorff and Sammy Ansel got the team on the board first with a 21-16, 21-14 win on court five, Skylar Allen and Simone Priebe clinched the team win with another sweep on court one and two Gamecock pairs stuck it out in three sets to preserve the 5-0 decision.
Against the Sun Devils in game two, the visitors struck first with a win on court five but Chase Teal and Jolie Cranford responded with a sweep of the fours, 21-18, 21-16. In the second wave of matches, it was all South Carolina. The Gamecocks dominated courts one, two and three, with Allen and Priebe again clinching the team win thanks to a 21-18, 21-13 sweep. It was a milestone win for Allen, who enjoyed her 50th career win playing in the number one pairing – an achievement never before accomplished by a member of the program.
For continued updates on the team, follow @GamecockBeachVB on Twitter and Instagram.
Two more foes await the Gamecocks on Sunday. First up is Tampa (8-11) at 10 a.m. with a weekend finale against No. 11 Georgia State at 4 p.m.
No. 20 South Carolina 5, Houston Christian 0
- Skylar Allen/Simone Priebe (SC) def. Alison Stanfill/Maddie Butters (HCU) 21-14, 21-15
- Kaeli Crews/Hannah Mackenhausen (SC) def. Kristen Kleymeyer/Lindsay Harris (HCU) 22-24, 21-18, 15-12
- Jolie Cranford/Chase Teal (SC) def. Abbey Reinard/Abbey Bufkin (HCU) 21-18, 23-21
- Allison Coens/Lauren Wilcock (SC) def. Paige Palmer/Shelby O’Neal (HCU) 21-15, 16-21, 15-13
- Kennedy Westendorff/Sammy Ansel (SC) def. Mary Alper/Kylann Griffith (HCU) 21-16, 21-14
Order of finish: 5,4,1*,3,2
No. 16 South Carolina 4, Arizona State 1
- Skylar Allen/Simone Priebe (SC) def. Kylie Wickley/Lexi Sweeney (ASU) 21-18, 21-13
- Kaeli Crews/Hannah Mackenhausen (SC) def. Ivey Weber/Jensen Kaelin (ASU) 21-10, 21-12
- Allison Coens/Lauren Wilcock (SC) def. Sarah Waters/Taryn Ames (ASU) 21-13, 21-15
- Chase Teal/Jolie Cranford (SC) def. Carys Thomas/Adriana Nieves Papal (ASU) 21-18, 21-16
- Kate Fitzgerald/Rylie Kael (ASU) def. Sammy Ansel/Kennedy Westendorff (SC) 21-16, 21-18
Order of finish: 5,4,2,1*,3