Beach Volleyball Dominates Final Day of Regular Season
COLUMBIA, S.C. – Gamecock beach volleyball closed out an undefeated final weekend of the regular season with two wins on Saturday, defeating Jacksonville 5-0 and College of Charleston 4-1. South Carolina wraps up its 10th regular season as a program with a 19-10 overall record.
Before the team’s dual against Jacksonville, it celebrated senior day with seven Gamecocks, and all seven would have a hand in the team’s victory over the Dolphins (12-20). It started with Lizzie Thompson and Peyton Gray in the fifth flight, the two soon-to-be graduates swept Jacksonville, 21-7, 21-16 to open the scoring. Senior Hailey Cabeceiras and freshman Presley Wright followed right after with a 21-13, 21-9 win in the fours to make it a 2-0 advantage.
In the top three flights, Allison Coens and Lauren Wilcock clinched the overall team win and made it 3-0 with a 21-13, 21-9 sweep on court two. Senior day honorees Skylar Allen and Simone Priebe won the top pairing by a 21-16, 21-12 score and the dual was wrapped up by a three-set win on court three for senior Kaeli Crews and junior Hannah Mackenhausen.
Running with the same lineup in the weekend finale against the Cougars, the Gamecocks wrapped up a quick team win with victories in the first, third and fifth pairings. Allen and Priebe were the clinching point with a three-set win, and it was a historic win at that. The pair recorded their 20th victory of the season, making them the first duo in program history to reach 20 wins in the number one position for a single season. For Allen, it is her second season as an individual reaching the milestone – the first coming in her 2021 all-american campaign.
For continued updates on the team, follow @GamecockBeachVB on Twitter and Instagram.
The team finished the regular season with a 19-10 overall record. The next event will be the Coastal Collegiate Sports Association’s conference tournament, held in Huntsville, Ala. from April 27-29. Future matchups and a full bracket will be announced at a later date.
No. 16 South Carolina 5, Jacksonville 0
- Skylar Allen/Simone Priebe (SC) def. Emily Kubicsko/Jenna McNamara (JAX) 21-16, 21-12
- Allison Coens/Lauren Wilcock (SC) def. Kristina Nika/Cameron Knifton (JAX) 21-13, 21-9
- Kaeli Crews/Hannah Mackenhausen (SC) def. Sydney Eckhardt/Olivia Szyszkiewicz (JAX) 21-13, 17-21, 15-13
- Hailey Cabeceiras/Presley Wright (SC) def. Katie Martinez/Haley Hart (JAX) 21-13, 21-9
- Lizzie Thompson/Peyton Gray (SC) def. Anna Dunbar/Colleen Ziegelmaier (JAX) 21-7, 21-16
Ex. Sammy Ansel/Sophie Bengoechea (SC) def. Marissa Rakauskas/Kari DeYoung (JAX) 21-16, 21-15
Order of finish: 5,4,2*,1,3
* – Clinching Point
No. 16 South Carolina 4, College of Charleston 1
- Skylar Allen/Simone Priebe (SC) def. Kyra Thompson/Gabi Bailey (COFC) 21-18, 19-21, 15-9
- Allison Coens/Lauren Wilcock (SC) def. Ella Reames/Maria Zweig (COFC) 21-14, 21-16
- Kaeli Crews/Hannah Mackenhausen (SC) def. Kora Hansen/Emma Falk (COFC) 21-7, 21-14
- Sofie Vogel/Tynley Smeltzer (COFC) def. Hailey Cabeceiras/Presley Wright (SC) 19-21, 21-17, 15-11
- Lizzie Thompson/Peyton Gray (SC) def. Alli Grant Avery/Elizabeth Curry (COFC) 21-19, 21-15
Order of Finish 3,5,1*,2,4