No. 13 Gamecocks Dominate Coastal Carolina, Grab 5-0 Win at Home
COLUMBIA, SC – The No. 13 South Carolina women’s soccer team (5-0-1) took down Coastal Carolina (2-3-0) in front of a home crowd of over 4,600 Sunday, grabbing their fifth clean sheet of the season with a 5-0 win.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Gamecocks got on the board with electric speed, firing a shot in the second minute, followed by a goal from senior Catherine Barry (Shae O’Rourke) in the fourth minute of play to put her team up 1-0 early after netting it into the far back corner
- South Carolina would go on to make 12 more unanswered shots until Barry made a connection from Brianna Behm for the second time this season to score her second goal of the game and 28th of her career in the 30th minute
- The Gamecocks weren’t done yet, with Lily Render capitalizing on a free kick from Megan Spiehs, sending it past the Chanticleers’ keeper Vivienne Carr for her second goal of the season in the 42nd minute, just before the end of the first half
- South Carolina took 17 shots in the first half to Coastal Carolina’s zero and took two corners
- The second half saw just as much action from the Gamecocks when rookie Bri Pinasco fired one into the bottom right corner from fifth-year Camryn Dixon and Barry for her first collegiate goal in a Gamecocks jersey, right at the 54th minute of play
- Less than six minutes later, sophomore Shae O’Rourke found her own opportunity from fellow sophomore Dubem Dike putting South Carolina up 5-0 after aligning herself center with the net and sneaking it past Carr
- The Gamecocks finished with a 27-0 shot advantage and eight corners
- Barry matched a career-high of 10 shots on the night and had six of her team’s 15 SOGs. Barry also moved to No. 4 in the Gamecock record books for career shots at 207, passing Kayla Grimsley (2008-11) at 203
- South Carolina tallied its fifth clean sheet of the season and has now outscored its opponents 18-2
The Gamecocks will stay home, taking on No. 4 North Carolina under the lights on Thursday, Sept. 7 at 7:00 p.m.
Fans are encouraged to follow along with in-game updates on Twitter and Instagram, @GamecockWSoccer.