Gamecocks and Spartans Set for Tuesday Night Match
COLUMBIA, S.C. – The South Carolina men’s soccer team hosts in-state foe and sister school USC Upstate in a non-conference match Tuesday night (Sept. 26) at Stone Stadium.
Gameday Information – #WEareCarolina
When: September 26 | 7 p.m.
Where: Columbia, S.C.
Venue: Stone Stadium (5,700)
Live Stats: StatBroadcast
Series History: South Carolina leads 6-1
Last Meeting: South Carolina 2, USC Upstate 1 | Sept. 6, 2022 | Columbia, S.C.
South Carolina Gamecocks 2-4-1, 1-1 Sun Belt
Coach: Tony Annan | 3rd Season – 12-21-7
Goal Leader: 2 | Adam Luckhurst and Ethan Dekel Daks
Assist Leader: 2 | Mika Habel
Points Leader: 4 | Adam Luckhurst and Ethan Dekel Daks
Shots Leader: 18 | Ethan Dekel Daks
Saves Leader: 22 | Ben Alexander
USC Upstate Spartans 2-4-1, 0-1 Big South
Coach: Scott Halkett | 6th Season
Goal Leader: 2 | Adrian Panaite
Assist Leader: 1 | Four tied
Points Leader: 4 | Adrian Panaite
Shots Leader: 24 | Jeremy Montero
Saves Leader: 40 | Cooper Jennings
Taking the Pitch
- This will be the 8th meeting between the Gamecocks and Spartans.
- Carolina leads the series 6-1, including winning last season’s match.
- Upstate’s lone victory came during the spring 2021 season in overtime.
- All seven previous matches have come at Stone Stadium.
- The Gamecocks have out-scored the Spartans 10-5 in the series.
- Carolina has shutout USC Upstate twice in the series, coming in back-to-back seasons, 2018 and 2019.
- The Gamecocks held Georgia State to one shot on goal Friday night. It was the first time since 2014 (also against GSU), that they’ve held a team to 1 SOG or less.
- South Carolina defeated No. 24 Kentucky for the first time since 2016 and the first time in Lexington since 2012.
- It was their first win over a ranked opponent since 2019.
- Ben Alexander was named the Sun Belt Defensive Player of the Week.
- He was the first Gamecock to win a Sun Belt POW award and the first defensive player to earn any POW honor since 2017.
- The Gamecocks tallied four goals in the match against Queens, their first four-goal match since scoring four against Winthrop on Sept. 9, 2022.
- Carolina also earned five assists in the match, the first time they finished with five in a match since Sept. 5, 2006, against Centenary.
- This is the 45th season of South Carolina men’s soccer.
- The Gamecocks have an all-time record of 523-282-83.
- South Carolina finished the regular season last year leading the nation in average attendance with 2,839 fans per game.
- The Gamecocks begin their second season in the Sun Belt Conference.
- Carolina was picked to finish fifth in the conference by the coaches.
- Peter Clement and Adam Luckhurst will serve as team captains for the season.
- The roster features 10 newcomers; five transfers and five true freshmen.
- They return eight starters from a season ago, including four starters in the defensive end.
- The team return Adam Luckhurst who led the Gamecocks in every offensive category.
Gamecock fans will be able to utilize free parking in the grass lot located behind the Athletics Village Parking Garage (1300 Heyward Street) or overflow parking located at the Roost (201 South Marion). Fans will also have the option to park at any of the City of Columbia metered spots located around Stone Stadium (subject to fees required through the ParkMobile app). The Athletics Village Parking Garage will not be available.