Gamecocks Host Dolphins for Breast Cancer Awareness Match
COLUMBIA, S.C. – The South Carolina men’s soccer team wraps up non-conference play when the Gamecocks host the Jacksonville Dolphins Tuesday night (Oct. 3) at 6 p.m. To recognize the beginning of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, the match will be a Pink Out.
Gameday Information – Breast Cancer Awareness Month
When: October 3 | 6 p.m.
Where: Columbia, S.C.
Venue: Stone Stadium (5,700)
Live Stats: StatBroadcast
Series History: South Carolina leads 11-1
Last Meeting: Jacksonville 3, South Carolina 2 | Oct 23, 2019 | Columbia, S.C.
South Carolina Gamecocks 2-5-2, 1-1-1 Sun Belt
Coach: Tony Annan | 3rd Season – 12-22-8
Goal Leader: 3 | Adam Luckhurst
Assist Leader: 2 | Mika Habel
Points Leader: 6 | Adam Luckhurst
Shots Leader: 20 | Ethan Dekel Daks
Saves Leader: 33 | Ben Alexander
Jacksonville Dolphins 2-5-3, 0-0-3 ASun
Coach: Ali Simmons | 1st Season
Goal Leader: 2 | Three tied
Assist Leader: 3 | Iver Skorve
Points Leader: 4 | Three tied
Shots Leader: 26 | Mason Duval
Saves Leader: 38 | Christian Sekanina
Taking the Pitch
- This will be the 13th meeting between the Gamecocks and Dolphins.
- The two teams last met in 2019 in Columbia.
- Jacksonville’s lone victory of the series came in their last meeting in 2019.
- The Gamecocks are 7-1 all-time in Columbia.
- This will be only the fifth meeting of the 21st century (2022, 2003, 2008, 2019).
- Carolina owns nine shutouts in the series.
- South Carolina has out-scored the Dolphins 37-5 in the series.
- The Gamecocks held Georgia State to one shot on goal. It was the first time since 2014 (also against GSU), that they’ve held a team to 1 SOG or less.
- South Carolina defeated No. 24 Kentucky for the first time since 2016 and the first time in Lexington since 2012.
- It was their first win over a ranked opponent since 2019.
- Ben Alexander was named the Sun Belt Defensive Player of the Week.
- He was the first Gamecock to win a Sun Belt POW award and the first defensive player to earn any POW honor since 2017.
- The Gamecocks tallied four goals in the match against Queens, their first four-goal match since scoring four against Winthrop on Sept. 9, 2022.
- Carolina also earned five assists in the match, the first time they finished with five in a match since Sept. 5, 2006, against Centenary.
- This is the 45th season of South Carolina men’s soccer.
- The Gamecocks have an all-time record of 523-283-84.
- South Carolina finished the regular season last year leading the nation in average attendance with 2,839 fans per game.
- The Gamecocks begin their second season in the Sun Belt Conference.
- Carolina was picked to finish fifth in the conference by the coaches.
- Peter Clement and Adam Luckhurst will serve as team captains for the season.
- The roster features 10 newcomers; five transfers and five true freshmen.
- They return eight starters from a season ago, including four starters in the defensive end.
- The team returns Adam Luckhurst who led the Gamecocks in every offensive category.
Breast Cancer Awareness Game
- The Gamecocks will wear pink sweatbands at the match.
- Pink ribbons will be available at the marketing table on the concourse.
- Student will receive a pink bandana.
- The team will honor a breast cancer survivor at halftime.