Men’s Soccer Hosts White Out Game vs No. 7 Mountaineers Thursday
COLUMBIA, S.C. – The South Carolina men’s soccer team hosts Sun Belt Conference foe No. 7 West Virginia Thursday night at 7 p.m. The game will be a white out and the first 1,000 fans will receive a free rally towel. The first 400 students will receive a free t-shirt.
When: October 12 | 7 p.m.
Where: Columbia, S.C.
Venue: Stone Stadium (5,700)
Live Stats: StatBroadcast
Series History: South Carolina leads 1-0-1
Last Meeting: South Carolina 0, West Virginia 0 | Oct 1, 2022 | Morgantown, W. Va.
South Carolina Gamecocks 4-5-2, 2-1-1 Sun Belt
Coach: Tony Annan | 3rd Season – 14-22-8
Goal Leader: 4 | Adam Luckhurst
Assist Leader: 2 | Mika Habel and Martin Yahia
Points Leader: 8 | Adam Luckhurst
Shots Leader: 23 | Ethan Dekel Daks
Saves Leader: 35 | Ben Alexander
No. 7 West Virginia Mountaineers 8-0-4, 1-0-3 Sun Belt
Coach: Dan Stratford | 4th Season
Goal Leader: 8 | Marcus Caldeira
Assist Leader: 8 | Yutaro Tsukada
Points Leader: 17 | Marcus Caldeira
Shots Leader: 46 | Yutaro Tsukada
Saves Leader: 31 | Jackson Lee
Taking the Pitch
- This will be the 3rd meeting between the Gamecocks and Mountaineers.
- The two teams earned a 0-0 draw during a rain-soaked match last season at West Virginia.
- The Gamecocks won the first meeting 2-1 in overtime in Columbia on Sept. 5, 1982.
- South Carolina leads the nation in both cumulative and average attendance (4,442)
- Carolina has hosted three of the top six highest attended on-campus NCAA men’s soccer home matches this season (#4 – Old Dominion, #5 – Jacksonville, #6 – UNCW).
- They also claim six of the top 12 spots in highest attended home matches (#9 – Georgia State, #11 – USC Upstate, #12 – Queens), along with their road match at Clemson ranking as #10. No other program has more than one game in the top 12.
- Only Clemson and Creighton have two matches in the top-20.
- South Carolina is the only program in the nation to have all its home matches (7) rank in the top-50 for attendance.
- Ethan Dekel Daks’ goal vs Old Dominion with five seconds left was the latest goal in regulation since Tucker Monheimer scored with one second left vs Jacksonville on 10/23/2019.
- For his efforts, Dekel Daks was named the Sun Belt Offensive Player of the Week.
- The Gamecocks held Georgia State to one shot on goal. It was the first time since 2014 (also against GSU), that they’ve held a team to 1 SOG or less.
- South Carolina defeated No. 24 Kentucky for the first time since 2016 and the first time in Lexington since 2012.
- It was their first win over a ranked opponent since 2019.
- Ben Alexander was named the Sun Belt Defensive Player of the Week.
- He was the first Gamecock to win a Sun Belt POW award and the first defensive player to earn any POW honor since 2017.
- The Gamecocks tallied four goals in the match against Queens, their first four-goal match since scoring four against Winthrop on Sept. 9, 2022.
- Carolina also earned five assists in the match, the first time they finished with five in a match since Sept. 5, 2006, against Centenary.
- This is the 45th season of South Carolina men’s soccer.
- The Gamecocks have an all-time record of 525-283-84.
- South Carolina finished the regular season last year leading the nation in average attendance with 2,839 fans per game.
- The Gamecocks begin their second season in the Sun Belt Conference.
- Carolina was picked to finish fifth in the conference by the coaches.
- Peter Clement and Adam Luckhurst will serve as team captains for the season.
- The roster features 10 newcomers; five transfers and five true freshmen.
- They return eight starters from a season ago, including four starters in the defensive end.
- The team return Adam Luckhurst who led the Gamecocks in every offensive category.