March 15, 2002
Nashville, TN –
The No. 24 ranked South Carolina men’s tennis team gained a 4-2 victory over Vanderbilt on Friday to move to 9-2 on the year, 3-2 in SEC play.
After a delayed start due to wet conditions, South Carolina surrendered the doubles point before reeling off four singles victories to claim the match. The team of Angelo Niculescu and Marcus Westman recorded the lone Gamecock victory in doubles play by a score of 8-6.
The bottom of the lineup shined for USC as the Gamecocks picked up a point in positions No.3 through No.6. All four Gamecock wins came in straight sets as Marcus Westman, David Nelson, Carl Wermee, and Rodrigo Pacheco all came away victors. Seth Rose split a pair of sets against the nation’s No. 28 ranked player, Bobby Reynolds, before play was suspended. The No.24 Gamecocks will be back in action on Sunday at the Sam Daniel Tennis Center. USC hosts No.7 Kentucky beginning at 1:00 p.m.
#24 South Carolina 4, #30 Vanderbilt 2
1) #28 Bobby Reynolds (VU) vs. Seth Rose (USC) 4-6, 7-6, susp.
2) Chad Harris (VU) def. Angelo Niculescu (USC) 6-2, 6-4
3) Marcus Westman (USC) def. Zach Dailey (VU) 6-3, 6-1
4) David Nelson (USC) def. Jens Frederiksen (VU) 6-1, 6-2
5) Carl Wermee (USC) def. Lewis Smith (VU) 6-4, 6-0
6) Rodrigo Pacheco (USC) def. Josh Tarkoff (VU) 6-3, 6-2
1) Niculescu/Westman (USC) def. Reynolds/Smith (VU) 8-6
2) Harris/Frederiksen (VU) def. Nelson/Atkinson (USC) 9-8
3) Dailey/Tarkoff (VU) def. Rose/Wermee (USC) 8-5