April 14, 2002
Gainesville, FL –
In the final SEC match of the season, No. 24 South Carolina was unable to upset the No. 15 Florida Gators on Sunday at Florida’s Linder Stadium. With the win Florida moves to 15-5 on they year (7-4 SEC). South Carolina drops to 14-7 (4-7 SEC).
Florida pulled ahead early, taking two doubles matches from USC to go on top 1-0. Carolina never recovered, recording only two victories in singles play. Winners for the Gamecocks were No. 55 Seth Rose and David Nelson. Rose, playing out of the No. 2 position for the first time this season, only needed two sets to dispose of No. 74 Eleazar Magallan 6-0, 6-4. Playing out of the No. 4 position, Nelson also recorded a straight set victory, 7-6, 6-3, over Troy Hahn.
The Gamecocks close out the regular season on April, 16, against in-state rival Clemson. The match is scheduled to begin at 3:30 p.m. in Belton, SC. The Gamecocks lead the all-time series with Clemson 37-30.
1) #29 Chris McDonald/Hamid Mirzadeh (UF) vs. Marcus Westman/Angelo Niculescu (USC), 6-5 susp.
2) Olivier Levant/Eleazar Magallan (UF) d. Seth Rose/Carl Wermee (USC), 8- 1
3) Matt Behrmann/Troy Hahn (UF) d. David Nelson/Ben Atkinson (USC), 8- 5
1) #122 Hamid Mirzadeh (UF) d. #75 Angelo Niculescu (USC), 7-6 (2), 6-0
2) #55 Seth Rose (USC) d. #74 Eleazar Magallan (UF), 6-0, 6-4
3) Olivier Levant (UF) d. #90 Marcus Westman (USC), 6-0, 6-2
4) David Nelson (USC) d. Troy Hahn (UF), 7-6 (5), 6-3
5) Matt Behrmann (UF) d. Carl Wermee (USC), 7-5, 6-3
6) Ross Greenstein (UF) d. Rodrigo Pacheco (USC), 6-4, 6-4